A reflective moment

It is Thursday morning and we are getting reading to have our closing study on the book of John.  As I sat here in the very cool house with my fuzzy blanket, my bible, and my computer to read the questions, I was reflecting on what I will take away from this book.  This chapter is a lot about the reflective time the disciples were having so I thought it would be fun to reflect on our study.  So here are my reflective takeaways.  I encourage you to comment and share yours too.  It can be just a brief thought, a moment in class, your favorite verse, anything.

1.  I have a new understanding of the magnitude of frustration Jesus must have felt because people didn't see him.  The people didn't see his Father.  No matter what he did, no matter how many miracles he performed, no matter how many prophecies he fulfilled they still didn't know he was Lord.  Especially those who should have known.  Those who devoted their lives to work in the church, they were the most blind.  After studying John, I am determined to be more careful than ever to make sure I am spending time with him.  That Jesus doesn't get lost in my work for the organization of our church.  That FIRST I must have that relationship with Jesus, first I must know Him, first and only my allegiance should be to Christ.

2.  I have a new appreciation for the incredible way that Jesus connected with those that society saw as worthless.  I am afraid we too often have catch phrases that we use to justify our lack of willingness to get involved, to accept and to surround ourselves with those that society deems worthless.  I can't be afraid to be around them, worship with them, invite them into my home, even go into their home.  It is easy to exclude those we see as openly sinning because we don't want to "condone" their sin.  Yet in the process of trying to avoid "condoning" and to make sure we reflect a just God, I'm afraid we have become a society of like believers who require our version of "holiness" before we accept you fully.  I never saw that mentality in the life of Christ.  Jesus was in their homes, was willing to let a "filthy" woman perform an act that was considered highly inappropriate on him in the presence of others.  His relationship with her was more important than anything else.   I hope that after studying this book, I am willing to let go of fear, and replace it with a Christ like love.

3.  What is being written in the sand!  What is Jesus writing in the sand!  If I am ever tempted to drag someone to a stoning, through gossip, dislike, or in the name of standards, I must STOP and look at what Jesus is writing in the sand.  If I am in a sea of negativity about my husband, my children, or their significant others, I must STOP and look at what Jesus is writing in the sand.  Even when I am justified in bringing someone to a stoning because of what they have done or continue to do, I must STOP and look at what Jesus is writing in the sand.  If I do STOP and look at what Jesus is writing in the sand and I don't see anything, then maybe I'm not even in the presence of Jesus! What is Jesus writing in the sand!

So those are my top three.  Share yours!

Comments

  1. My reflective moment is different than yours Beth, although I MUST when I begin to judge or get disappointed in people, think of my "sins" Jesus would have written in the sand. Patience and judgement are very hard for me because I do judge myself as harshly as I judge others. I have worked with disadvantaged for many years and still mentor people who may not be acceptable in polite society. I am comfortable in that company. My reflection is the balance Jesus wants me to have in my life. Prioritize Christ first, husband, family, work, church, friends. I feel like at different times in our lives we must choose. Just like Jesus knew when He needed solitude, when He needed rest, when He needed to go to the garden in prayer. He also got disappointed in people, but that is HIS job, not mine.

    2014 appears not to be less stressful for me. I am only lifted up and carried by the promises of Jesus. He is my Savior, friend, and protector. I will work toward what I feel He wants me to do. He knows what is best for me and what DOES happen in this next year.

    Just believe is on my screen saver on my iphone it reminds me that God is with me. Since I look at my phone often, I KNOW that it will all work out within the plan for our life.

    I have enjoyed this bible study. I have so much enjoyed to visually see (through the Bible series / YouTube). Looking forward to studying Philippians.

    Happy Sabbath!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment