JOY Week 6

Sabbath School Study Week 6


INTRODUCTION:

The snow has melted and Chris and I are just days away from our trip.   We are so excited and yet there is so much yet to do that we are a bit overwhelmed.  As I read this passage and this book of Philippians there is a strong element of the importance of supporting each other. As we leave for Africa just knowing you are all home praying for us is such a comforting feeling.  We feel supported.   Sabbath when Lucy volunteered to teach this class I felt supported.  Each week when we are together there is support.  I love our Sabbath School class because of the community that is developing.  Jim Hall you were sooooo missed Sabbath!  There were other faces not there... you were missed! New ones that I so appreciated having in class and I can't wait to get to know you better.  Sam, the insights you shared and the quote linger on my mind.  Bottom line, being part of this class brings me joy!  This week focus on community.  Remember one of our Ingredients was to praise God for people in our life.   This week remember to do just that, but also praise each other, affirm each other.  Lucy a couple weeks ago you did just that and what a blessing it was.  To those of you who are new... we can't wait to get to know you better. I want to encourage each of you to reach out and try to get to know someone you don't know very well.  Let's continue to develop our relationships with each other and with God.  

Timothy and Epaphroditus

Philippians 2:19-24

 19 I hope in the Lord Jesus to send Timothy to you soon, that I also may be cheered when I receive news about you. 20 I have no one else like him, who will show genuine concern for your welfare. 21 For everyone looks out for their own interests, not those of Jesus Christ. 22 But you know that Timothy has proved himself, because as a son with his father he has served with me in the work of the gospel. 23 I hope, therefore, to send him as soon as I see how things go with me. 24 And I am confident in the Lord that I myself will come soon.

In verse 19 Paul says he hopes to send Timothy.  Why Timothy? 

1. .... no one else like him, who will __________________ _______________ _________________
for your welfare.  
2. ..... Timothy has _____________________ himself........ because....................he has ______________
me....

There are several things here that are so important! Just a little over a week ago I was putting on a dinner/QA time at a church in the area.  It was to help answer questions about Pisgah.  Something happened to my back and by the time we were done preparing the dinner I was in agony.  Amy King came in with the last of the food that she had purchased and prepared.  It was so nice to see her.  I greeted her and she instantly said, "it looks like you are in pain."  I can't tell you what joy it brought to have someone there who had genuine concern for me.  She like me and everyone else was there to get a job accomplished.  Yet she was intuitive enough, knew me well enough, and loved me enough to show concern for me.  So many times we are all worried about the task at hand, the things that need to get accomplished and our interests become more important than anything else.  Yet here Paul beautifully illustrates the importance of us not worrying about our own interests but the interests of others and the work that God has asked us to do.  

INGREDIENT #14 Show Genuine Concern for One Another

ACTION:  1. This week each day find someone that you can show genuine concern for.  2. Each day write down a name of someone who has shown genuine concern for you. (this can be current or in the past)

Philippians 2:25-30

 25 But I think it is necessary to send back to you Epaphroditus, my brother, co-worker and fellow soldier, who is also your messenger, whom you sent to take care of my needs. 26 For he longs for all of you and is distressed because you heard he was ill. 27 Indeed he was ill, and almost died. But God had mercy on him, and not on him only but also on me, to spare me sorrow upon sorrow. 28 Therefore I am all the more eager to send him, so that when you see him again you may be glad and I may have less anxiety. 29 So then, welcome him in the Lord with great joy, and honor people like him, 30 because he almost died for the work of Christ. He risked his life to make up for the help you yourselves could not give me.


I love this section!!!!! Here you see the love and care between Paul and the Philippians.  The Philippians have sent Epaphroditus to minister to Paul and he almost dies.  Paul, is sending him back, so that they will not be so anxious.  Here both sides are doing their best to care for one another.  It does not just go one way.  A very important element of Joy is to be part of a community, to serve and be served, to love and to be loved, to pray for one another, to build each other up and not tear each other down.  THERE IS NO ROOM IN GOD's COMMUNITY FOR BACK STABBING, OR ANYTHING OTHER THAN THINKING OF OTHERS!!!!!

What does Paul say to do for Epaphroditus on his return? ____________________________________

________________________________________________________________________________

What do you think this must have looked like.  What would we do to honor those who give up so much for the work of Christ?  What could we do?

INGREDIENT # 15  Honor people who are working hard for the Lord.

ACTION:  This week write down a name of someone you have seen working hard for the Lord.  Someone you would like to honor.  On Sabbath share your name or names with each other.  Discuss how to honor those individuals.  

 This whole passage is talking about what I should do for others.  It is about serving one another, giving it all up for God and His work.  Sacrificing much and honoring others.  Here we see the Philippians sending someone to love and care for Paul and we see Paul sending someone to love and care for them.  We see the request to honor those who have given greatly and to focus on what they have done.  Here we see the importance of not thinking of our own personal interests.  Take care of those in your circle, but let's remember to keep increasing the circle of care.  Love those this week that might seem unlikely or unlovable.  Seek out someone that you can show genuine care for! Don't forget those who are closest to you too.  We have become a society so full of boundaries, and self preservation that we are missing out on the joy that comes from laying it all on the line for God, for others!  This week I want to challenge us all, to give recklessly, serve others, and honor those who do!  Be a Timothy, be a Epaphroditus, be a Paul, be a Philippian!

 

Comments