Sabbath School Lesson Week 10


Sabbath School Lesson Week 10



INTRODUCTION: 

 We are finally starting chapter 4.  This is perhaps one of the most quoted chapters in the bible.  I know personally there are a couple verses that I have clung to, quoted and - if it is possible- I have over used.  Yet I can honestly say I have never systematically studied the entire chapter after studying the entire book, so I am sooooo excited.  

Philippians 4:1

(The Message)  My dear, dear friends! I love you so much. I do want the very best for you. You make me feel such joy, fill me with such pride. Don’t waver. Stay on track, steady in God.

(The New International Version) Therefore, my brothers and sisters, you whom I love and long for, my joy and crown, stand firm in the Lord in this way, dear friends!

What a beautiful way to start the last chapter of this book of Joy.  Right off the bat, we see one of the ingredients for... EACH OTHER!  The community of Believers.  This past Sabbath as I left Sabbath School I was filled with joy thinking about each of you who have become part of this class.  What a Joy to be on this journey with each of you as we study together.  I have learned so much from each of you.  I love the contributions, and the conversations, and community we have all been able to participate in as a class.  What JOY!  When I read this verse I wanted to yell back at Paul, "I understand, I know what you are talking about, I am part of a community, I am part of the Philippians (so to speak) and yes you are right, what JOY!  I love them so very much too and so much wish the best for them!"  

INGREDIENT # 21 BE FREE and OPEN with your EXHORTATION of EACH OTHER! 

What Joy you will partake in if you affirm one another and let each other know how much you love them.  It was once said to me a compliment that you think and don't share is wasted!  Share with one another what you appreciate! If you can't think of anything make it a matter of prayer and then share share share!  We live in a world that celebrates cutting each other down.  We roast people we love, and have hours of late night entertainment that is built on cutting others down.  Most of what we call humor is mean!  We live in a world that could certainly use a group of people who hone the gift of EXHORTATION!!!!  We need to be practicing it, praying about it, and living it! 

ACTION:  Do your best this week to compliment all you come in contact with.  Express your love for those around you.  

 Philippians 4:2 

  (The Message ) I urge Euodia and Syntyche to iron out their differences and make up. God doesn’t want his children holding grudges.
And, oh, yes, Syzygus, since you’re right there to help them work things out, do your best with them. These women worked for the Message hand in hand with Clement and me, and with the other veterans—worked as hard as any of us. Remember, their names are also in the Book of Life.

( The New International Version)I plead with Euodia and I plead with Syntyche to be of the same mind in the Lord. Yes, and I ask you, my true companion, help these women since they have contended at my side in the cause of the gospel, along with Clement and the rest of my co-workers, whose names are in the book of life.  

 INGREDIENT # 22  Iron out your differences!

When was the last time you had a difficult time with someone, a misunderstanding, an argument? 
What was the issue?
During that time how would you classify your joy levels during that time?
What did you do to rectify the situation?  What did you do to mend the relationship?

ACTION:  If you are still having an issue with someone, do the following...

1. Pray about the situation, ask God to give you a heart of humility and understanding.  Ask him to give you the strength needed to mend...
2. Pray that the Lord will show you all the amazing things about them!
3. Affirm them and let them know you want to make things right and mend.  
4. LISTEN, LISTEN,  be slow to speak, and very slow to anger.
5. If that doesn't work ask for someone to go with you and try again. 

Is it possible that we often put more importance on what is right and wrong, what needs to be done in the home or in church, the lists of must, instead of the relationships.  Over and over Jesus makes it clear that the relationships are more important! Yet we often let issues get in the way and then we have churches and homes that are filled with hurt, resentment, arguing, and turmoil.  The sad part is, there is no way we can be effective as a family, (church or home) if we are bickering.  We won't be a safe place for those in need of refuge.  We won't effectively share the love of God, the gospel, or especially the lists if our relationships are broken. 

Make fixing the relationships in your life a priority.  Let everything else disappear for a while if necessary. 

 This week let us love each other, forgive each other, compliment each other, pray for each other, and celebrate what God has gifted us..... EACH OTHER!

 


 

Comments