Sabbath School Class Week 13


Sabbath School Lesson Week 13

INTRODUCTION:  Well we are coming to the end of our study on Joy.  I thought this would be the last week, but decided there was still too much to cram it all in in a week.  So here is the final schedule.  This week we will study Philippians 4:10-13.  Next week we will study Philippians 4: 14-19.  The following week we will study Philippians 4:20-23.  Then the following week we will have a review of the entire book.  We will go over all of the ingredients of Joy and all the Actions.  I would love for each of you to come prepared to share if there has been any moments where what you have learned has aided in bringing joy to your life.  So be thinking about what you can share.  That will be the final week of this study.  So it will be a total of 16 weeks.  


Philippians 4:10-13
I rejoiced greatly in the Lord that at last you renewed your concern for me. Indeed, you were concerned, but you had no opportunity to show it. 11 I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13 I can do all this through him who gives me strength.
 
This week we are going to look at this passage a verse at a time.  So let's read the passage and then go back to verse 10.  
 
"I rejoiced greatly in the Lord that at last you renewed your concern for me.  Indeed, you were concerned, but you had no opportunity to show it." 
 
What do you think Paul is trying to say here?
Why would he reJOYing that they were again concerned for him?  
 
When have you last been concerned for someone?
Did you do anything about it?  Did you want to?
 
When was the last time you knew someone was concerned for you?  How did that make you feel?
 
I have to confess there are times I don't want people to be concerned for me.  There have been times in my life where I felt confident and strong and thrilled to be taking on a challenge and when others showed concern for me it wasn't appreciated.  It made me think they doubted my ability, they didn't agree with my choices etc.  Has that ever happened to you?  Or there are other times when people being concerned for me just made me feel bad because I knew now they were also taking on my burdens, and they had plenty of their own.  So when reading this passage, I have contemplated whether or not I would be rejoicing greatly in the Lord that someone had renewed their concern for me.  Would I?  Would you?

On the other hand.  There are times when feeling all alone, like I'm fighting the battle all by myself, someone reaches out, lets me know they are concerned for me, and I reJOYce with all I am! I praise God! I'm all of a sudden completely aware of my need and God's provisions through the individual with concern.

Has that ever happened to you?

When?

What were the circumstances and who had concern?
 
What was happening to Paul when the Philippians "showed concern" for him?
 
Let's move onto the next two verses.  "I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want."  

What strikes you about this passage?  

There is that word again.. "Whatever"  not in some, or in most but in whatever... good, bad, painful, joyful, loving, rejected.  In whatever our circumstances.  

Circumstances.  Why is this word important.  What are circumstances?

Whatever circumstances are usually our excuse for grumbling.  Whatever circumstances are the things that happen to us the we think give us license to behave badly.

Example: Just moments ago a friend asked me how my day was going and I told her all the interruptions I had experienced this week and especially today and how I was just overwhelmed and unable to get this lesson out.   (Pause)      I am not content in whatever the circumstances! Content.  Wow really.
 
Maybe the drivers on the road, your children, the sickness that keeps you from the things you need to do, the bad marriage, the financial difficulties and limitations... whatever the circumstances! Whatever the circumstance... Content?
 
INGREDIENT # 28 Whatever the Circumstances be Content
 
ACTION:  Everytime you start to complain about your circumstances.... sing (either out loud or in your head)... "To God be the Glory great things He has done, so loved He the world that He gave us His son."  or some other song that reminds you of his great power, his plan for you!   
 
 Then the final verse for today and really the exclamation point on this entire book.  It is the power behind it all, it is the way we know we can take action.  It is the how to, the it is possible!  It is the everything.
 
Philippians 4:13
I can do all this through him who gives me strength.  I can do all this through him who gives me strength.
I can do all this through him who gives me strength. I can do all this through him who gives me strength.
I can do all this through him who gives me strength. I can do all this through him who gives me strength.
I can do all this through him who gives me strength. I can do all this through him who gives me strength.
 
I can do some of this, most of this, the easy parts of this, ALL this... ALL THIS through him who gives me strength.  
 
 Today as I am feeling overwhelmed, behind, seemingly unable to accomplish all that I feel I should, I am asking myself,  "If I can do all this through him who gives me strength, then why am I not doing it?"  Why am I exhausted frazzled, and getting farther behind?
 
Is that really what this text is all about.  What has Paul just finished telling us?  He has been talking about thinking about what is positive, to mend relationships, to support each other, to have concern and to be content in all circumstances.  He is NOT saying that if I pack my day filled with good things that need to get done that I will get them all done because through Christ I can do all this.... NO NO NO.  
 
 
The key is in the word THIS.  This refers to what is in this passage.  To what he has just been saying.  We can't just take this out of context and use it as a stand alone text that we recite as we are going crazy in our way to busy world.  Here he is saying I can do all this, be content in all things, think about what is true and honorable, rejoice for the concern of my supporters, I can mend relationships. This is what I can do because HE gives me strength.  
 
God is not our fairy God mother!  He is not about waving magic wands and making all things perfect for us.  NO!  He has promised he will be with us, and he will give us the strength to be content, he will be with us and is faithful to love us, to give us His grace and forgiveness.  He will give us the strength to be content and to make it through. 
 
When I was (running) or walking the 13.1 miles several years ago and I was in terrible agony.  I prayed, Oh I prayed for the strength to keep going, for the pain to go away.  I prayed for young trained legs, but they never appeared!  Silly sure.  But what he did was so much more beautiful!  He sent someone to come along side me and encourage me with His love! He let me know he was with me, but that didn't mean he was taking it all away or making things perfect!  Not even close! 
 
Perhaps the beauty is not in things going well!  Perhaps JOY has nothing to do with happiness, or our lives being smooth, and clean and neat, or pretty, or all we have dreamed, but JOY real JOY is in the journey with Christ, the journey of learning to trust him, and be content in every circumstance?  
 
 
 
 


 
 
 
 
  
 

Comments