Who Am I? The Gospel According to Matthew Week 14


The Gospel According to Matthew

This week has been full!  In this one week I have experienced joyful surprises, deep sorrow, helplessness, hope.  I have been overwhelmed, and had moments of peace.  I have seen the workings of God in my life, and I have cried out wondering where he was! So as I sit down to work on this lesson, I am relieved that it is the section on murder...right? It should be easy... cut and dried...right? We all know it, and it doesn't really step on any of our toes...or does it?  

READ: Matthew 5: 21-26

Murder

21 “You have heard that it was said to the people long ago, ‘You shall not murder, and anyone who murders will be subject to judgment.’ 22 But I tell you that anyone who is angry with a brother or sister will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to a brother or sister, ‘Raca,’ is answerable to the court. And anyone who says, ‘You fool!’ will be in danger of the fire of hell.
23 “Therefore, if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother or sister has something against you, 24 leave your gift there in front of the altar. First go and be reconciled to them; then come and offer your gift.
25 “Settle matters quickly with your adversary who is taking you to court. Do it while you are still together on the way, or your adversary may hand you over to the judge, and the judge may hand you over to the officer, and you may be thrown into prison. 26 Truly I tell you, you will not get out until you have paid the last penny.
  
Let's first look at verses 21and 22.  
Here Jesus is refering to what?
He has just finished in the last passage telling them what?  

Here he takes one of the laws and gives them an example.  Most of the population can read the commandment, Thou shalt not kill, and simply say OK.  Done.  Certainly the Pharisees and the teachers of the law didn't murder. 

“You have heard that it was said to the people long ago, ‘You shall not murder, and anyone who murders will be subject to judgment.’ 22 But I tell you that anyone who is angry with a brother or sister will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to a brother or sister, ‘Raca,’ is answerable to the court. And anyone who says, ‘You fool!’ will be in danger of the fire of hell.

Ok

Now could the Pharisees and Rabbis be put in this category?  In fact at that very moment they were angry with Jesus.  

What does Raca mean?
 Raca: An Aramaic term of contempt
 So contempt can send you to court, so once again He takes it even deeper.  It isn't just contempt but if you even say you fool!

How many times have we while driving said, "what an idiot!"?
How many times have we called people fools?

Murder = "what an idiot"

Moving on:
“Therefore, if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother or sister has something against you, 24 leave your gift there in front of the altar. First go and be reconciled to them; then come and offer your gift.


 How many of us went to our brother or sister who has something against us before coming to church?  Before praising him? Is this important? Why?

Continuing on:
 “Settle matters quickly with your adversary who is taking you to court. Do it while you are still together on the way, or your adversary may hand you over to the judge, and the judge may hand you over to the officer, and you may be thrown into prison. 26 Truly I tell you, you will not get out until you have paid the last penny.

I want us to turn this around from the negative to the positive.  So if we are not to be angry or hate what should we be doing?  

What is the opposite of hate?

What is the opposite of anger?

Not calling each other idiots, or fools, the opposite is?

Not having contempt for each other, the opposite is?

Not murdering each other, the opposite is?

If you had to sum this up in one word, what would you say Jesus is calling us to do, us to be?

How do those words apply to:
Our relationships with:
Parents
Siblings
Friends
Husband/Wife
Children
Church family
Corporate Church
Boss
Co Workers
Employees
Stupid drivers 

Take this list and with a humble heart will you take each at a time and examine what you need to confess to our Lord and ask Him to replace your anger, contempt, hate, with His love, grace, forgiveness, or whatever it is He wants in it's place.

*Justifiable anger:  I'm sure it will be said in class that even Jesus was angry and that there are times we are justified to be angry.  Yes, I agree.  However, take the time to really surrender it to God and ask that He show you if you are using the "justifiable" clause to justify your anger.  

Jesus took perhaps the simplest of the laws, the one that is a no brainer and made it complex and frankly something that we can look at as impossible.  Why?

I can feel quite confident that I will not be murdering anyone this week.... yet after this...can I?

So where does that put me?

What will it take for me to get through this week without killing?

How do I navigate a sinful world with my sinful nature and honor this Law of God?

There is only one way!  

JESUS!

Who am I?

I am a sinner! I can't even keep the simplest of the commandments, what hope do I have?

Lord, come into my heart, take over, please!  Transform this broken, angry, hurt, heart! Will you heal it, mend it, or just completely replace it and give me a new one? I know it is only through you that I will be able to find the unity with others that you long and hope for me.  I realize that it is in unity with others that I will experience peace and rest and an example of your grace. Lord give me the courage to pursue you, and the courage to turn my heart over to you!

 



Comments