Who Am I? The Gospel According to Matthew


The Gospel According to Matthew

Introduction:  Who am I? This week this question has been foremost in my mind.  Really, who am I? What do I really like and dislike? What are my gifts and what are my shortcomings. What shortcomings are really gifts that are unappreciated by me? What do I consider gifts that are really shortcomings? Who am I? Is this a question that really matters?  Who am I? 

This week we are looking at a very short passage. This passage has inspired me this week. It has inspired me to be able to answer the question, who am I.

Let's READ: Matthew 8:14-15

Jesus Heals Many

14 When Jesus came into Peter’s house, he saw Peter’s mother-in-law lying in bed with a fever. 15 He touched her hand and the fever left her, and she got up and began to wait on him.

There are three things Jesus does here.  What are they?

1.
2.
3.

What is the response of Peter's mother-in-law?

READ: Matthew 8:16-17

16 When evening came, many who were demon-possessed were brought to him, and he drove out the spirits with a word and healed all the sick. 17 This was to fulfill what was spoken through the prophet Isaiah:

“He took up our infirmities
    and bore our diseases.”[b]


When evening came... What is important about this? Or what does this tell us?

Here again, what did Jesus do?

How many did He heal?

What hope does this give us?  

Who am I?  In the past several months I have had the opportunity to see people who I dearly love choose to seek real healing.  Some have started going to counseling.  Some have started going to counseling and started for perhaps the first time really trying to sit at the feet of Jesus.  The transformation, the healing has been remarkable.  It has given them a new life, it has transformed their children, and healed the family unit!  To see them go from broken to healed has been such a miracle.  The beauty in it all is to see the touch of Jesus in their lives.  The healing touch of Jesus.

Do we really believe that He is still healing.  Do you need healing?  Is there healing in your spiritual life that you desire and long for.  Do you need healing in your relationships?  Do you need physical healing? 

This week I have had several conversations with others, and several with God leading me to one conclusion.  I need the healing touch of Jesus.  I need the healing word of Jesus.  I need to seek after Jesus, even if I am coming to him in the cover of night, I need to come to Him seeking His healing.  I can't know who I am until I am healed.  The leper was a leper until he was touched by Jesus.  Then he was "the Healed".  The mother-in-law was the mother in law with fever, then she was touched by Jesus and she became His servant.  The demon possessed were the demon possessed until He spoke the word.  Then they were the healed.  

I can give you a list of things that I am.... I want to be the healed, the servant of my Lord and Savior. I don't want to keep asking myself the question of who am I, I want to be the healed! 

Who am I because of who he is?  He is the healer... I am the healed!

    










Comments