Who Am I? The Gospel According to Matthew



The Gospel According to Matthew

Matthew 8: 23-34

Have you ever felt like your life was nothing more than a whirlwind of activities, responsibilities, and stress?  Does it seem like there are never enough hours in the day? Do the problems seem to be never ending and the joy unreachable.  This week I have ended up literally feeling sore.  Sore not from work or physical exercise but from just being so tired.  I haven't done anything remarkable, I have just been going and going and going.  There is no end in site since I am just completing the first of five weeks with the MPA recruiting team and I have to admit I'm not sure where all the calm will come from?  

Today we are reading two very familiar stories in Matthew.  The first is the story of Jesus calming the storm. The second is of Him casting the demons into the pigs who then run off a cliff to their death.  Both familiar both perhaps simple in message, or are they.  

In Michael cards book, "The Gospel of Identity" he writes about how these two stories are linked and when looked at together both are more clear.  We will read both stories and then go back and take a closer look at each one.

READ:  Matthew 8:23-34

Jesus Calms the Storm

23 Then he got into the boat and his disciples followed him. 24 Suddenly a furious storm came up on the lake, so that the waves swept over the boat. But Jesus was sleeping. 25 The disciples went and woke him, saying, “Lord, save us! We’re going to drown!”
26 He replied, “You of little faith, why are you so afraid?” Then he got up and rebuked the winds and the waves, and it was completely calm.
27 The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!”

Jesus Restores Two Demon-Possessed Men

28 When he arrived at the other side in the region of the Gadarenes,[c] two demon-possessed men coming from the tombs met him. They were so violent that no one could pass that way. 29 “What do you want with us, Son of God?” they shouted. “Have you come here to torture us before the appointed time?”
30 Some distance from them a large herd of pigs was feeding. 31 The demons begged Jesus, “If you drive us out, send us into the herd of pigs.”
32 He said to them, “Go!” So they came out and went into the pigs, and the whole herd rushed down the steep bank into the lake and died in the water.33 Those tending the pigs ran off, went into the town and reported all this, including what had happened to the demon-possessed men. 34 Then the whole town went out to meet Jesus. And when they saw him, they pleaded with him to leave their region.

So how are these two connected?
First the storm:  Here Matthew uses the word to describe the storm is seismos, the same word that we get seismograph.  He is describing the storm as a violent shacking.  Many commentators talk about how storms in this region were common, and could come out of nowhere. Michael Card suggests that if they were common, why were these seasoned fishermen who were used to the common storms popping up, even violent storms, so afraid? He argues that this was different.  It was a violent shaking that perhaps was something they had never experienced before.  Perhaps when connected to the next story we better understand this storm.  Maybe this storm was a demonic storm, a shaking from demons who were wanting the disciples and Jesus to end up like the pigs.  The demons wanted them dead in the water.  Now we don't know for sure, but we do know this was a storm that terrified these seasoned fishermen.  So what do they do?
What do we do when we are in crisis? What do we do when we are afraid of something?
We call on Jesus, right?
We should, right?
Turning to Him should be our first and constant reaction to the shaking that we experience.  Right?
Yes of course!
Yet what is Jesus' response to their plea for Him to do something?
"You of little faith, why are you so afraid?”
 Let's contrast this to the Centurion that we read about just a couple lessons ago.  With the Centurion Jesus was "amazed"  by his faith.  Here He is calling them out for having little faith. His disciples, His followers, His companions, even His friends, get called out for having such little faith. 
As His followers, what does this say to us?  Here they believed they were getting ready to drown. They were afraid for their life and so they called out to Him.  
Where is the lack of faith in that?  
If I call out to Jesus does that mean I lack faith?
When in the storms that life brings, is asking Him to save me a lack of faith?
How do I be the Centurion?
Should they have just quietly sat in a boat about to go down, believing that Jesus would save them?
When I feel like I'm downing in life, do I sit back and know that Jesus will save me?

The Centurion still came to Jesus, what was the difference?

Let's continue and look at the second story.

The demons say what to Jesus?
What do they call Him?
It seems that they assume or know that Jesus is about to do.  
They they ask Him to do what?
And Jesus' response.
Here it isn't the individuals but the demons He is talking with.  
What happens to the demons, and the pigs?
What does the reaction of the town people say about them?
I think we need to be careful in passing judgement.  

So the story of the storm, what life application does that have for me?
Are there times in my life when there is a storm going on that I classify as a weather event when really it is a demon event?  Are there times when I have let Satan take hold of an area of my life and yet I just see it as a common storm? 
In coming to Jesus, am I coming with faith and believing in Him? Will He be amazed by my faith or say, "you of little faith"? 
Does Jesus still help those with little faith?
What are some life application points for me from the story of the demons?
I do believe in demons, and in the devil and I know he is still working very hard in each of our lives. So what does this story tell us.
First, as soon as Jesus comes on the scene, what do the demons know?
They realize His power, and that they will not be hanging around where the Son of God is.
I have struggles in my life, areas that I know Satan has had a hold on, so perhaps I need more Jesus?
Is it possible to let Him in my heart, believe in Him, even love Him and still have departments, so to speak, where I have not let Him take over?
What parts of your life do you need to fill with Jesus?
What do we know about Jesus from this passage?
The demons may have tried to get rid of Jesus, and they are still trying to get rid of Him from our lives, but He is stronger!!! He is the one who will prevail! He HAS prevailed!
If I want to live a life free, I need JESUS! 
I need to believe in who He is!
I need to believe in what he can and will do!
I need to ask!
I need Jesus to fill the space that is currently occupied by the other side!
I need Jesus!

Who am I?  I am in desperate need of Jesus in EVERY part of my life!








Comments