Who Am I? The Gospel According to Matthew


The Gospel According to Matthew


This week I am on the road with a group of Mount Pisgah Academy students.  We have been helping out in a Vacation Bible school program. I have to admit that I have found myself quite homesick for my own bed, my husband, my church, and my friends.  It has been a challenging week, and my natural inclination, or my desire is to run home.  To go home where I am known, loved, and supported.  For me home is a place of strength.  A place to be replenished and supported.  Oh how I have felt the need of that this week.  

So here we continue in Matthew.  At the end of chapter 8, we find Jesus being asked to leave after the town hears all that he has done.  Continuing in chapter 9, we see that He does as asked and He goes to His own town.  He goes home.  

READ:  Matthew 9: 1-2

Jesus Forgives and Heals a Paralyzed Man

Jesus stepped into a boat, crossed over and came to his own town. Some men brought to him a paralyzed man, lying on a mat. When Jesus saw their faith, he said to the man, “Take heart, son; your sins are forgiven.”

Matthew is telling us a story that the other gospels also tell but he shortens it and gives us just a couple facts.  This is the same story where the man's friends bring him to Jesus and cut a hole in the roof to get to him.  Matthew doesn't bother with all that detail.  He just gets to the point.   
All the gospels highlight the importance of the friends bringing their friend.  
How life changing were these friends?  What a gift they gave this paralyzed man!  
Who had the faith? 
Isn't it interesting that Jesus notices the faith of the friends.  It is their strength that brings the man to Jesus and their faith in Jesus that heals him.  Can you imagine?  This man was without opportunity and his friends stepped in.  What amazing friends.
We also know from the other gospels that it wasn't that these friends just said, "Oh look, there is Jesus.  Hey Jesus, heal our friend."  No they had to work hard to get him there and then when it seemed that they would never get him in front of Jesus they were willing to cut a hole in someone else's roof to lower him to the Savior.  
Is Jesus calling you to encourage someone, carry a load for someone, believe for someone, bring someone to the feet of Jesus?  Who could it be? Or has a friend been trying to bring you to His feet but you have been resisting?  
So what does Jesus say to him?
Why does He say that? 
There is no greater miracle than to be healed of our sin.  It is our sin that is really paralyzing us.  How has your sin paralyzed you?
Is this why the friends brought him to be forgiven for his sins?
What is keeping you from really living, really running for Jesus? 
Was it sin that paralyzed him?
Was that why Jesus said what he did?

READ: 9:3-8

At this, some of the teachers of the law said to themselves, “This fellow is blaspheming!”
Knowing their thoughts, Jesus said, “Why do you entertain evil thoughts in your hearts? Which is easier: to say, ‘Your sins are forgiven,’ or to say, ‘Get up and walk’? But I want you to know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins.” So he said to the paralyzed man, “Get up, take your mat and go home.” Then the man got up and went home. When the crowd saw this, they were filled with awe; and they praised God, who had given such authority to man.

These teachers were mumbling, whispering, talking only to themselves but Jesus knew and he responded. 
What is He saying to them?
What does He say to the paralyzed man?
What does the paralyzed man do?
Who received the praise and honor for this? 
Matthew finds it important for us to know that they still didn't get who Jesus was.  They just saw Him as a man.  A man who was doing amazing things.

The friends brought the man * Jesus forgives the man * Jesus gives a command to the man *
The man does what?

How many times does Jesus ask us to do something and we sit back wanting to do our own thing?  Or we make excuses? Yet if we would be willing to do as He asked, we could also be healed!

Is there something in your life that Jesus is asking you to do?  
What are your excuses?
Everyone of us has things for which we need healing.  Take a few moments and quietly think about what that might be.
On a piece of paper write down what you know Jesus is asking you to do. Or on a piece of paper ask Jesus what He is asking of you!
Then put that paper in your purse or wallet.  This week take it out each day and commit to listening to responding to His command. 
This week GET UP! Pick up your bed and go home! 

I told you at the beginning of this lesson that this week has been rough and I have wanted to come home, multiple times.  I have needed that place.  Reading this lesson, I know that what I really need is healing! What I need is to listen to what Jesus is commanding me to do, do it and then go home. Not my literal home, but I need to be home! Be in that place where I know I am safe.  Be in that place where I am comfortable and welcomed.  A place where I go after I have been healed.  Do you want His healing?  Are you willing to listen to Him?  Are you willing to accept His command?

Who am I because of who He is?  I am someone with a Home!!!

Comments