Who am I? The Gospel According to Matthew


The Gospel According to Matthew
Matthew 10: 24-42


INTRODUCTION:  So we are continuing in chapter 10 where Jesus is telling His disciples to go and giving them instructions.  This last part of the chapter is perhaps the most difficult to digest.  There are parts that I know have been used to support attitudes and actions that are not representative of our Savior.  I will confess this section has been particularly difficult for me.  I have a big amazing family that I love very much.  We don't however all believe the same or all behave in the same way.  I have watched other families with smaller differences be torn apart because this passage gives them justification to stand their ground and or build walls with silence and distance.  I have heard parents disown their children and wives leave their husbands.  

So today before we start let's start with prayer.  Let the Holy Spirit give us the wisdom to understand the message He has for us. 


READ: 

24 “The student is not above the teacher, nor a servant above his master. 25 It is enough for students to be like their teachers, and servants like their masters. If the head of the house has been called Beelzebul, how much more the members of his household!
26 “So do not be afraid of them, for there is nothing concealed that will not be disclosed, or hidden that will not be made known. 27 What I tell you in the dark, speak in the daylight; what is whispered in your ear, proclaim from the roofs.28 Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell. 29 Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground outside your Father’s care.[b] 30 And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered.31 So don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.
This first section is wonderful isn't it! How would you summarize it?  I don't know about you  but when I read this I feel wrapped up.  Nothing can touch me... he cares about the hairs on the heads of the tiniest creatures yet I am worth more than many sparrows.  

32 “Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. 33 But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.
34 “Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. 35 For I have come to turn
“‘a man against his father,
    a daughter against her mother,
a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law
36     a man’s enemies will be the members of his own household.’[c]

"Anyone who loves their father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves their son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.38 Whoever does not take up their cross and follow me is not worthy of me.39 Whoever finds their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life for my sake will find it.
40 “Anyone who welcomes you welcomes me, and anyone who welcomes me welcomes the one who sent me. 41 Whoever welcomes a prophet as a prophet will receive a prophet’s reward, and whoever welcomes a righteous person as a righteous person will receive a righteous person’s reward. 42 And if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones who is my disciple, truly I tell you, that person will certainly not lose their reward.”

This section I know has too many times been used to cover up rudeness, an unwillingness to love and forgive, or to hurt one another with our rightness!  
In desire of Ages Ellen white writes, "The disciples might speak fluently on doctrines, they might repeat the words of Christ Himself; but unless they possessed Christlike meekness and love, they were not confessing Him.  A spirit contrary to the spirit of Christ would deny Him, whatever the profession. Men may deny Christ by evil speaking, by foolish talking, by words that are untruthful or unkind.  They may deny Him by shunning life's burdens, by the pursuit of sinful pleasure.  They may deny Him by conforming to the world, by uncourteous behavior, by the love of their own opinions, by justifying self, by cherishing doubt, borrowing trouble, and dwelling in darkness.  In all theses ways they declare that Christ is not in them.  "This creating of strife is not the effect of the gospel, but the result of opposition to it."
I think it is safe to say that if we look at the example of Christ, His sermon on the Mount, His commands about how we are to treat the least of these, we can't justify being anything but long suffering, kind, loving, serving, accepting, etc.  So what does this all mean then.  
In Desire of Ages Ellen continues, "The Savior bade His disciples not to hope that the world's enmity to the gospel would be overcome, and that after a time its opposition would cease.  He said, "I came not to send peace, but a sword."  This creating of strife is not the effect of the gospel, but the result of opposition to it." 
We know that Jesus wants families to be strong. We know that what he wants is for us to be a family unit that loves Him!  Here he is just warning that even if that doesn't happen we are to choose HIM!!!
Choosing Him means what?
Choosing Him means we must love more. We will forgive because He has forgiven us, we must serve because He serves us. 

How does a christian who is choosing Christ behave toward those around him?  How are husbands to love their wives, etc.  Children are to honor their parents. That doesn't change. 
This is not a command to tear our families apart, but a warning that it may happen.  

Here at the end of His instruction He again says what?
If you serve the least you serve me. Those that serve you my disciples, serve me.
What do we take away from this lesson?
What do we take away from chapter 10?

I mentioned that in my family we have a wide range of beliefs.  I have told you before about my cousin who is a follower of some Eastern religion.  How to navigate and how to be a family has been challenging for sure. We have a transgender, those who are gay and lesbian, in fact my entire family are made up of sinners.  Some believing and some not.  Many in my extended family have found it to justify rudeness instead of kindness.  They have used the fear of "conforming to the world" to put up walls, and keep from being a family.  Yet as far as I can see the world is not about forgiving, the world is not about accepting and loving.  The world is not about living lives that are surrendered to Christ.  The world is not about giving to the poor, putting Christ above all else.  The world is not about Christ. 
To sum up this lesson: We are to choose Christ! Above all we are to choose Christ! We are to spread His word, NO MATTER the consequence! We are to go boldly knowing that He loves us and cares for us so much that we will never be alone.  He will guide us, tell us what to say and give us the strength to say it.  

Comments