Who Am I? The Gospel According to Matthew



The Gospel According to Matthew
Matthew 16

Introduction:  Matthew 16 is divided into 4 sections in my bible.  We are going to try to get through all 4 sections in this lesson.  The study of Matthew has been a very important for my walk with Christ.  Perhaps the most powerful part has been identifying with the Pharisees and the Sadducees.  I have heard these stories since I was a child and as soon as I hear the word Pharisee or Sadducee, in my head I would substitute it for "bad people".  The sad part was that in not identifying with them I missed the point.  I missed the warning.  I missed the lesson.  

Yet now when I hear Pharisee I cringe a little.  I hear church leader, believer, teacher, striving to promote truth, skeptical of new teaching, born and raised in church tradition, lovers of church life. 

The question that haunts me is, "Would I be willing to hear and see Jesus?"  Or, "Am I willing to hear Jesus?"  

I think the study of Matthew has opened my eyes to the righteous security I have reveled in because of my belief of being a member of the "remnant" church.  Is that very different from the Pharisees?  Don't misunderstand me, I am not saying anything against this church.  The danger comes when we fail to grow. When we fail to keep our eyes on Jesus and instead see the church and the traditions as more important.  Or even equally important.  

If Jesus traveled through Charlotte, not as a Seventh-day Adventist but as the Savior, would I see him? Would I listen to him? Would I ask for signs? 

How do we guard against becoming a Pharisee?

Question for the day:  How have you seen Jesus this week?  How have you sought after Jesus this week?


READ: Matthew 16: 1-4

The Demand for a Sign
16 The Pharisees and Sadducees came to Jesus and tested him by asking him to show them a sign from heaven.
He replied, “When evening comes, you say, ‘It will be fair weather, for the sky is red,’ and in the morning, ‘Today it will be stormy, for the sky is red and overcast.’ You know how to interpret the appearance of the sky, but you cannot interpret the signs of the times.[a] A wicked and adulterous generation looks for a sign, but none will be given it except the sign of Jonah.” Jesus then left them and went away.

Why were they asking for a sign from heaven?
What was this sign going to prove to them?

Do we ever ask for signs when we should be walking in faith?

What do we do when those who doubt ask for signs?



In Desire of Ages, Mrs. White writes, "The highest evidence that He came from God is that His life revealed the character of God. He did the works and spoke the words of God. Such a life is the greatest of all miracles.
When the message of truth is presented in our day, there are many who, like the Jews, cry, Show us a sign. Work us a miracle. Christ wrought no miracle at the demand of the Pharisees. He wrought no miracle in the wilderness in answer to Satan's insinuations. He does not impart to us power to vindicate ourselves or to satisfy the demands of unbelief and pride. But the gospel is not without a sign of its divine origin. Is it not a miracle that we can break from the bondage of Satan? Enmity against Satan is not natural to the human heart; it is implanted by the grace of God. When one who has been controlled by a stubborn, wayward will is set free, and yields himself wholeheartedly to the drawing of God's heavenly agencies, a miracle is wrought; so also when a man who has been under strong delusion comes to understand moral truth. Every time a soul is converted, and learns to love God and keep His commandments, the promise of God is fulfilled, "A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you." Ezek. 36:26. The change in human hearts, the transformation of human characters, is a miracle that reveals an ever-living Saviour, working to rescue souls. A consistent life in Christ is a great miracle. In the preaching of the word of God, the sign that should be manifest now and always is the presence of the Holy Spirit, to make the word a regenerating power to those that hear. This is God's witness before the world to the divine mission of His Son."

How many times do we spend more time trying to "prove" the existence of God and his miraculous power with the bible, spirit of prophecy, other books, archaeology or other means?  What would happen if we spent our time in the word and letting Jesus transform us?  Would our lives be more effective?

We need both, but maybe first we need to let our lives, our transformed lives speak to His power.



READ: Matthew 16: 5-12

The Yeast of the Pharisees and Sadducees
When they went across the lake, the disciples forgot to take bread. “Be careful,” Jesus said to them. “Be on your guard against the yeast of the Pharisees and Sadducees.”
They discussed this among themselves and said, “It is because we didn’t bring any bread.”
Aware of their discussion, Jesus asked, “You of little faith, why are you talking among yourselves about having no bread? Do you still not understand? Don’t you remember the five loaves for the five thousand, and how many basketfuls you gathered? 10 Or the seven loaves for the four thousand, and how many basketfuls you gathered? 11 How is it you don’t understand that I was not talking to you about bread? But be on your guard against the yeast of the Pharisees and Sadducees.” 12 Then they understood that he was not telling them to guard against the yeast used in bread, but against the teaching of the Pharisees and Sadducees.

What does leavening or yeast do to dough?  

How much of the dough does the yeast change?  

Powerful stuff.

So if we are identifying with the Pharisees, what do we need to be careful about?  

What and how we teach it.

What and how we interact with each other?

How many times do we miss understand Jesus the way the disciples did here?

Even Jesus seems amazed at how much they didn't get it!

I don't know about you but when I first read this I said out loud, "Seriously! The disciples memory is so short."  Maybe if there had been a woman disciple... lol....just kidding.    

Have you ever had an amazing miracle happen, or an event where you knew God was in control to moments later doubt him?

Remembering, how important is it?

How can we remember?

How do we keep His unmatched loving acts in our life, and the transformation He works in our life in the forefront of our mind? 

Is it important?

“Listen to me, you descendants of Jacob,
    all the remnant of the people of Israel,
you whom I have upheld since your birth,
    and have carried since you were born.
Even to your old age and gray hairs
    I am he, I am he who will sustain you.
I have made you and I will carry you;
    I will sustain you and I will rescue you.
“With whom will you compare me or count me equal?
    To whom will you liken me that we may be compared?
Some pour out gold from their bags
    and weigh out silver on the scales;
they hire a goldsmith to make it into a god,
    and they bow down and worship it.
They lift it to their shoulders and carry it;
    they set it up in its place, and there it stands.
    From that spot it cannot move.
Even though someone cries out to it, it cannot answer;
    it cannot save them from their troubles.
“Remember this, keep it in mind,
    take it to heart, you rebels.
Remember the former things, those of long ago;
    I am God, and there is no other;
    I am God, and there is none like me.
10 I make known the end from the beginning,
    from ancient times, what is still to come.
I say, ‘My purpose will stand,
    and I will do all that I please.’
11 From the east I summon a bird of prey;
    from a far-off land, a man to fulfill my purpose.
What I have said, that I will bring about;
    what I have planned, that I will do.
12 Listen to me, you stubborn-hearted,
    you who are now far from my righteousness.
13 I am bringing my righteousness near,
    it is not far away;
    and my salvation will not be delayed.
I will grant salvation to Zion,
    my splendor to Israel.

Do you think He wants us to remember?

How did you experience Him this week?  Where did you see His mercy?

Sometimes do we let life get in the way of seeing Him?

Today is communion.  We participate in communion because He asked us to remember.

"Do this in remembrance of me" 

A few weeks ago we talked about having a song ready, a song in your heart ready to sing whenever needed.  Music is a huge part of my daily walk with God and having songs ready is important.  For me songs help me remember.

When our children were little and my life was crushing at times, Chris was my relief.  He was (and is) the light in many of my days.  I remember finding a song by Michael Card about Home being a comfort and a light.  I couldn't sing that song without crying (shocker). LOL.  Even to this day when I hear or sing that song, I am taken back to the incredible gifts of grace that Chris gave to me those crazy years.  I remember my feelings of inadequacy, I remember my his loving words and admiring looks even when I hadn't showered in days.  I remember just because of a song.  Do you have songs that take you back to what Jesus has done for you?


We all have more than 10 thousand reasons!  REMEMBER!!!




READ: Matthew 16:13-20

Peter Declares That Jesus Is the Messiah

13 When Jesus came to the region of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples,“Who do people say the Son of Man is?”
14 They replied, “Some say John the Baptist; others say Elijah; and still others, Jeremiah or one of the prophets.”
15 “But what about you?” he asked. “Who do you say I am?”
16 Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.”
17 Jesus replied, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by flesh and blood, but by my Father in heaven. 18 And I tell you that you are Peter,[b] and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades[c] will not overcome it. 19 I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be[d] bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be[e] loosed in heaven.” 20 Then he ordered his disciples not to tell anyone that he was the Messiah.

Can you imagine being Peter and hearing Jesus say this to you?

Read it again.

What I wouldn't give to here the voice of Jesus saying, "Blessed are you, Esther daughter of Claude." I believe I have heard Him, but to hear His voice to see his eyes looking at you as He says it.  Can you imagine?

Then, he goes on to affirm that he has heard the very word of God.  Wow. Wow.  Yet what do we know that Peter does just weeks later?

Maybe he needed a song to sing, when asked the question, "Aren't you one of His disciples?"

As beautiful as this moment could have been for Peter, just wait.  In a second Jesus is telling him to, "get behind me Satan."


READ: Matthew 16: 21-28

Jesus Predicts His Death

21 From that time on Jesus began to explain to his disciples that he must go to Jerusalem and suffer many things at the hands of the elders, the chief priests and the teachers of the law, and that he must be killed and on the third day be raised to life.
22 Peter took him aside and began to rebuke him. “Never, Lord!” he said. “This shall never happen to you!”
23 Jesus turned and said to Peter, “Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me; you do not have in mind the concerns of God, but merely human concerns.”
24 Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. 25 For whoever wants to save their life[f] will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will find it.26 What good will it be for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul? Or what can anyone give in exchange for their soul? 27 For the Son of Man is going to come in his Father’s glory with his angels, and then he will reward each person according to what they have done.
28 “Truly I tell you, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom.”

Poor Peter, I can't wait to meet him in heaven.  What an incredibly complicated person he must be.  Strong, week, understanding, completely clueless!

In this passage we see that he still doesn't understand how Jesus is the Savior of the world.  He still is wanting and expecting a great king, a kingdom, he is limited to his earthly understanding of redemption.

How blind may we all be to the "how" Jesus is going to finish the work?

What can we do to make sure we don't "earthanize" (meaning use our limited earthly scope to explain heavenly ways) our heavenly Fathers ways?  I made up this word because if we use our limited understanding, our finite earthly understanding, of our infinite Savior, we risk killing it all with our limited understanding.

Can you imagine if Jesus had been what Peter was expecting or hoping for?

Where would we be?

How much smaller was Peter's way?

How do we keep from doing this with are understanding of prophecy?  Remember these men knew prophecy too.  They had it right too.  They just took the right prophecy and made it fit their earthly understanding which resulted in missing Jesus.

How do we not miss Jesus?

Right in the middle of this passage is a very familiar passage, where Jesus is talking.  It is a beautiful passage.  It highlights that our understanding, our common sense doesn't work with heavenly principles.  My favorite part is, "whoever wants to save their life will loose it, but whoever gives up their life for me will find it."

Are you ready to loose your life for Jesus?

What does this mean for you?

How can you loose your life?

With our children grown and out of the house, I have been doing a lot of contemplating.  I heard recently of a couple who aren't sure they want to have children.  They gave a list of reasons.  I get it.  I agree.  Having children means giving up your life.  Your choices become limited, your desires are high jacked.  Your heart completely shifts.  There is no turning back.  You can't undo it.  Life before kids is no more and it never will be.  Even after they leave they still have your heart, your thoughts, YOU! Yet I can most certainly say in loosing my life to my kids, I began to really live!

If we give it all up for Jesus, He will have our heart, our thoughts, our decisions, our world.  IF we give it all up that is when life really begins!!!


Recap for today:

Ask for Jesus.
Instead of needing signs, need Jesus.
What he does in our lives will be the powerful proof of His very existence.
Ask for Jesus.

Be careful of false teachings by keeping our eyes on Jesus.
Remember what he has done.
Remember.

Proclaim Jesus to be Lord!
Don't fall into the trap of missing Him because of our limited scope.
Give it all up for Jesus and start to LIVE!!!!

To simplify it even more: Ask for Jesus, Listen to Jesus, Remember Jesus, Proclaim Jesus, See Jesus.

Who am I? Who am I, because of who He is?
I am in a relationship, spoken for, adopted, one of His.
I am remembering, seeking, sharing, resting in Him.
I have given it all up!

I have started to really LIVE!


Comments