Who Am I? The Gospel According to Matthew



The Gospel According to Matthew

INTRODUCTION:  So if you are only reading this online, then this lesson will seem very familiar.  Last week we only got through one section of the lesson, so I decided to continue working on it today.  So this lesson is just a continuation of last weeks lesson.  

READ: Matthew 16: 5-12

The Yeast of the Pharisees and Sadducees
When they went across the lake, the disciples forgot to take bread. “Be careful,” Jesus said to them. “Be on your guard against the yeast of the Pharisees and Sadducees.”
They discussed this among themselves and said, “It is because we didn’t bring any bread.”
Aware of their discussion, Jesus asked, “You of little faith, why are you talking among yourselves about having no bread? Do you still not understand? Don’t you remember the five loaves for the five thousand, and how many basketfuls you gathered? 10 Or the seven loaves for the four thousand, and how many basketfuls you gathered? 11 How is it you don’t understand that I was not talking to you about bread? But be on your guard against the yeast of the Pharisees and Sadducees.” 12 Then they understood that he was not telling them to guard against the yeast used in bread, but against the teaching of the Pharisees and Sadducees.

What does leavening or yeast do to dough?  

How much of the dough does the yeast change?  

Powerful stuff.

So if we are identifying with the Pharisees, what do we need to be careful about?  

What and how we teach it.

What and how we interact with each other?

How many times do we miss understand Jesus the way the disciples did here?

Even Jesus seems amazed at how much they didn't get it!

I don't know about you but when I first read this I said out loud, "Seriously! The disciples memory is so short."  Maybe if there had been a woman disciple... lol....just kidding.    

Have you ever had an amazing miracle happen, or an event where you knew God was in control to moments later doubt him?

Remembering, how important is it?

How can we remember?

How do we keep His unmatched loving acts in our life, and the transformation He works in our life in the forefront of our mind? 

Is it important?

“Listen to me, you descendants of Jacob,
    all the remnant of the people of Israel,
you whom I have upheld since your birth,
    and have carried since you were born.
Even to your old age and gray hairs
    I am he, I am he who will sustain you.
I have made you and I will carry you;
    I will sustain you and I will rescue you.
“With whom will you compare me or count me equal?
    To whom will you liken me that we may be compared?
Some pour out gold from their bags
    and weigh out silver on the scales;
they hire a goldsmith to make it into a god,
    and they bow down and worship it.
They lift it to their shoulders and carry it;
    they set it up in its place, and there it stands.
    From that spot it cannot move.
Even though someone cries out to it, it cannot answer;
    it cannot save them from their troubles.
“Remember this, keep it in mind,
    take it to heart, you rebels.
Remember the former things, those of long ago;
    I am God, and there is no other;
    I am God, and there is none like me.
10 I make known the end from the beginning,
    from ancient times, what is still to come.
I say, ‘My purpose will stand,
    and I will do all that I please.’
11 From the east I summon a bird of prey;
    from a far-off land, a man to fulfill my purpose.
What I have said, that I will bring about;
    what I have planned, that I will do.
12 Listen to me, you stubborn-hearted,
    you who are now far from my righteousness.
13 I am bringing my righteousness near,
    it is not far away;
    and my salvation will not be delayed.
I will grant salvation to Zion,
    my splendor to Israel.

Do you think He wants us to remember?

How did you experience Him this week?  Where did you see His mercy?

Sometimes do we let life get in the way of seeing Him?

Last week was communion.  We participate in communion because He asked us to remember.

"Do this in remembrance of me" 

A few weeks ago we talked about having a song ready, a song in your heart ready to sing whenever needed.  Music is a huge part of my daily walk with God and having songs ready is important.  For me songs help me remember.

When our children were little and my life was crushing at times, Chris was my relief.  He was (and is) the light in many of my days.  I remember finding a song by Michael Card about Home being a comfort and a light.  I couldn't sing that song without crying (shocker). LOL.  Even to this day when I hear or sing that song, I am taken back to the incredible gifts of grace that Chris gave to me those crazy years.  I remember my feelings of inadequacy, I remember my his loving words and admiring looks even when I hadn't showered in days.  I remember just because of a song.  Do you have songs that take you back to what Jesus has done for you?


We all have more than 10 thousand reasons!  REMEMBER!!!

Is remembering just for us?

How does remembering impact and spread to those around us?

What can we do to develop an Elephant memory?


I am redeemed!
I am in a relationship with the Creator of all!
I am redeemed!
Today and tomorrow I am a Christian remembering His miracle!



Comments