Who Am I? The Gospel According to Matthew



The Gospel According to Matthew

Matthew 17:22-27

INTRODUCTION: Just last week I had a conversation with a dear friend about the idea of being authentic and yet sometimes being different at Church.  Is that good or bad? Can it be bad to be different at church than you are other places or is it good?  The example I gave was nail polish.  I love nail polish.  I have since I was a little girl.  I can remember around age eight putting scotch tape around all 10 of my fingers and then coloring the scotch tape with markers to look like red, or pink, long fingernails.  Why? I liked it.  I didn't do it because I saw others with it.  My mother has never had long fingernails and at that time never wore any polish other than clear.  I was in Ethiopia where people didn't paint their nails. So how and where did I see it?  I have no idea, but I was an eight year old sporting fake painted red finger nails.  So fast forward almost 40 years and nothing has changed.  I love nail polish, however certain colors evoke negative feelings from some.  Certain colors have been known to hold some meaning to some in the church, so I try to avoid wearing them to church. Chris has watched while many a Friday night I am taking off red, or black or dark grey nail polish and replacing it with light pink nude or some other more subtle color.

Is this wrong? 

So question of the day:  Is there anything that you do that when around church people you don't do? YES or NO.  NO DETAILS required. 

As we get started on today's lesson I want you to think about this question.  What is the most important event that we should celebrate or commemorate as Christians?  What is the most significant Alleluia moment for us?

READ:  Matthew 17:22-23  

Jesus Predicts His Death a Second Time

22 When they came together in Galilee, he said to them, “The Son of Man is going to be delivered into the hands of men. 23 They will kill him, and on the third day he will be raised to life.” And the disciples were filled with grief.
So hint, hint, what is the most significant event we should celebrate? 
Here the disciples didn't want to celebrate it but they were filled with grief.  Now I'm not saying that I would be excited about my friend and master being killed, but he tells them that on the third day He would be raised to life.  He tells them the good news.  Yet they miss it and they only focus on the death.  Where is the rejoicing, or at least the understanding that they were about to witness something remarkable?
How many times has Jesus promised remarkable things to happen in our lives?  How many times has he promised that a complete transformation is about to take place, if you will but follow me and listen to me and yet we only focus on what we might have to give up.  What about the transformation?  What about the miracle He is waiting to perform in your life?  
Are we like the disciples?  
I have spent the past 15 years hating my physical being.  Fifteen years of self loathing.  Fifteen years. I know Jesus has a transformative plan for me! I know it.  Yet all I have been able to focus on is what I may have to give up if I turn it all over to Him.  I have only been focusing on the loss not the transformation.  
What do you know Jesus is wanting to transform in your life?  Are you thinking about the good news, the transformation or are you stuck only fearing the surrender to Him and what that might mean for you?

READ: Matthew 17: 24-28 

The Temple Tax

24 After Jesus and his disciples arrived in Capernaum, the collectors of the two-drachma temple tax came to Peter and asked, “Doesn’t your teacher pay the temple tax?”
25 “Yes, he does,” he replied.
When Peter came into the house, Jesus was the first to speak. “What do you think, Simon?” he asked. “From whom do the kings of the earth collect duty and taxes—from their own children or from others?”
26 “From others,” Peter answered.
“Then the children are exempt,” Jesus said to him. 27 “But so that we may not cause offense, go to the lake and throw out your line. Take the first fish you catch; open its mouth and you will find a four-drachma coin. Take it and give it to them for my tax and yours.”
First we need to understand what this tax was.  Ellen White writes, "This tribute was not a civil tax, but a religious contribution, which every Jew was required to pay annually for the support of the temple. A refusal to pay the tribute would be regarded as disloyalty to the temple,--in the estimation of the rabbis a most grievous sin. The Saviour's attitude toward the rabbinical laws, and His plain reproofs to the defenders of tradition, afforded a pretext for the charge that He was seeking to overthrow the temple service. Now His enemies saw an opportunity of casting discredit upon Him. In the collector of the tribute they found a ready ally.
Peter saw in the collector's question an insinuation touching Christ's loyalty to the temple. Zealous for his Master's honor, he hastily answered, without consulting Him, that Jesus would pay the tribute"

"But Peter only partially comprehended the purpose of his questioner. There were some classes who were held to be exempt from the payment of the tribute. In the time of Moses, when the Levites were set apart for the service of the sanctuary, they were given no inheritance among the people. The Lord said, "Levi hath no part nor inheritance with his brethren; the Lord is his inheritance." Deut. 10:9. In the days of Christ the priests and Levites were still regarded as especially devoted to the temple, and were not required to make the annual contribution for its support. Prophets also were exempted from this payment. In requiring the tribute from Jesus, the rabbis were setting aside His claim as a prophet or teacher, and were dealing with Him as with any commonplace person. A refusal on His part to pay the tribute would be represented as disloyalty to the temple; while, on the other hand, the payment of it would be taken as justifying their rejection of Him as a prophet."

So now we better understand the tax and why they were asking Peter the question.  It was in an attempt to trap Jesus again.  It is interesting to me that Peter is once again the person being asked this question. Peter the one who proclaimed him to be Lord, here is quick to answer a question that in answering the way he did denied Jesus to be divine.

Is is frankly terrifying to me, that Peter was "Zealous for his masters honor" and yet in trying to defend His honor denied him.

Is it not almost common for the very people who seem to have great faith, have great falls. Is it the lack of faith?  Why is it?

Peter believed right! Here his intentions were right. No one could argue he was trying. Why didn't another disciple get asked this question? Why Peter?  

What does Satan hate most of all?  He hates Jesus being proclaimed Lord!  He hates for people to acknowledge Jesus and His power.  When they do, when they proclaim it, he does all he can to shut them down.

So what does Jesus do?  When Peter walks in Jesus just starts talking. He doesn't even need Peter to explain.   He then performs a miracle that takes care of the situation.  He in essence  proclaims his divinity while not stirring the pot so to speak.  

Ellen White beautifully writes,"Though He had clothed His divinity with humanity, in this miracle He revealed His glory. It was evident that this was He who through David had declared, "Every beast of the forest is Mine, and the cattle upon a thousand hills. I know all the fowls of the mountains; and the wild beasts of the field are Mine. If I were hungry, I would not tell thee: for the world is Mine, and the fullness thereof." Ps. 50:10-12.
While Jesus made it plain that He was under no obligation to pay the tribute, He entered into no controversy with the Jews in regard to the matter; for they would have misinterpreted His words, and turned them against Him. Lest He should give offense by withholding the tribute, He did that which He could not justly be required to do. This lesson would be of great value to His disciples. Marked changes were soon to take place in their relation to the temple service, and Christ taught them not to place themselves needlessly in antagonism to established order. So far as possible, they were to avoid giving occasion for misinterpretation of their faith. While Christians are not to sacrifice one principle of truth, they should avoid controversy whenever it is possible to do so."

Are we sometimes too quick to claim standing on principle, when really it is just our preference or opinion. We stir up issues, when we could otherwise avoid controversy if we would just soften our stance?  

Could Jesus have said He must be authentic, therefore He most certainly can not pay the tax.  Is being, "authentic" sometimes our way of not caring what kind of controversy we may stir up? That last sentence that Ellen White writes is difficult to swallow sometimes.  

In some ways this side of Jesus is a lot less exciting than the one who called the Pharisees a pit of vipers.  Calling each other out or just doing what we are convicted is right, no matter how others feel, we may thrive on. Is it possible that we use it to justify hurting one another?  Jesus did a remarkable thing here.  He found a way to be divine and yet not offend the establishment.  

What can we do to keep Satan at bay?

What is God asking you to do or not do to avoid controversy?

If we ask for the Holy Spirit to show us a way to maintain principles and at the same time avoid controversy, will he show us?

Who am I?  A little afraid.  I want to focus on the transformation that I know Jesus has made possible for me because He died and then three days later arose.  That is what I want.  

Who am I? A little afraid.  A little afraid of what will be asked of me if I commit to avoid controversy when ever it is possible to do so.  What will I have to give up?  A lot less than HE gave up.... 

“Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people. 11 Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord. 12 This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger.” Luke 2:10-12

Perhaps this is for me today!  Perhaps this is what we all need to remember.  A Savior gave it all up for me... was born into this sinful world, in a manger, then to die, and then rise so that I might have transformation and live with him one day.  Is there anything too great for him to ask of me? 

Who am I? Afraid, but willing!  






Comments