Who Am I? The Gospel According to Matthew



The Gospel According to Matthew

Well we are finishing up Matthew Today!!!!  I'm so sad I can't be there. I'm headed down to Nosoca Pines with the recruiting team.  


Question of the Day: What is your favorite take away in Matthew? 



READ:  Matthew 28: 11-15

The Guards’ Report

11 While the women were on their way, some of the guards went into the city and reported to the chief priests everything that had happened.12 When the chief priests had met with the elders and devised a plan, they gave the soldiers a large sum of money, 13 telling them, “You are to say, ‘His disciples came during the night and stole him away while we were asleep.’ 14 If this report gets to the governor, we will satisfy him and keep you out of trouble.” 15 So the soldiers took the money and did as they were instructed. And this story has been widely circulated among the Jews to this very day.

Scholars believe that Matthew was written about 80-90 years after Christ's death.  What do you think the significance is of this story and the point that the story was still widely circulated among the Jews?


READ: Matthew 28: 16-20

The Great Commission

16 Then the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain where Jesus had told them to go. 17 When they saw him, they worshiped him; but some doubted. 18 Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”

So here we are the Great Commission.  This passage is very familiar to all of us.  Most of us can probably recite it.  
First let's look at verse 17.  
So they worshiped him yet some doubted...
Sounds like our church service.  We worship him but some doubt.  Is it wrong that some doubt?  
How was the doubt satisfied?
Doubt was satisfied, or the antidote for doubt is the great commission? 

What is the great commission?
I think we can break it down into 3 parts:
1. Make disciples of all nations...
This part directly tells us that this can't be just about us!  We can't just want to evangelize those who we know, those we love, and those closest to us.  We are called to evangelize  all!  It is an inclusive call!
What about this making disciples.  What does that mean?  How do we do that?  Disciples of whom?  So if that is what we are doing who must be front and center?

2. Baptizing them...
Baptizing them how?  In the name of whom?

3. And teach them to obey all I have commanded you...
This is Jesus talking right?  So what has He taught them in Matthew?
What has He taught you?

Then Jesus promises them, "I am with you always even unto the end of the earth."
Wow, coming at a time when the feelings of loss and loneliness they have just experienced over the loss of Jesus are still very real, this must have been amazing.
Jesus will be with us always!  What a promise.  When it feels like our nation is coming apart at the seams, Jesus will be with us always!  When I am hurting, broken, struggling, Jesus will be with me always!  When my family is experiencing pain and loss, Jesus will never leave me!  Jesus will never leave me!!!!

Looking at this passage, the Great Commission, this statement is really a comforting statement by our Savior.  
The same Jesus who came to this earth and experienced extreme suffering is telling us: I(Jesus) have been given all authority in heaven and on earth, and this is what I what you to know, go and tell everyone that I (Jesus) have all authority, and love each other, treat each other as if you were interacting with me! Take care of the poor, remember those in need, in prison, and know this for sure ... I will be with you ALWAYS!!!!
He didn't say because I have the authority and because you are my children nothing bad will happen to you.  But He does promise that He will be with us ALWAYS!!!!

My sisters husband is a police officer for the Richmond police department and tomorrow (Sabbath) he will be in downtown Richmond working. He was called in to help because there will also be a protest in Richmond. I called my sister today and we were talking.  She said she felt like she was having to learn all kinds of things all at once.   She is a little overwhelmed.

To my sister, I say, "Jesus has all authority in heaven and on earth and He will ALWAYS be with you and Gene and your babies and the families who lost family members all over our nation. 

Comments