Psalm 19 The heavens Declare!

The Heavens Declare!

Psalm 19

QUESTION of the DAY:  What are you thankful for today?

INTRODUCTION:  Yesterday as I was driving home I spent most of the drive in drizzle or rain with grey clouds.  It had been a stressful day and I kept thinking how the sky was reflecting my mood.  I spent sometime counting my blessings and doing my best to shake the grey, but I was struggling. Then just two miles from home ahead I saw the most beautiful sky!  I pulled out my phone and took a picture while driving.  Yea I know, that wasn't good, but as you can see there were no cars around.


I love sky!  It always speaks to me. This moment was no different.  I thought it was so beautiful how at "home" the sky was blue!  Looking at the blue sky my entire countenance changed.  A smile crossed my face and all I could think about was how God was smiling down on my home! Or maybe He just wanted to brighten my spirits before arriving home.  Or maybe He just wanted my attention.  Or maybe He was displaying how even when we are surrounded by grey clouds, if we keep our focus on "home" "heaven" we will find peace.

I finally came to the conclusion that this was not just a beautiful sky but it was speaking of who God is!  It made me think of this Psalm. This Psalm is the cry of my heart!

Let's read it together.

Psalm 19

For the director of music. A psalm of David.

The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
They have no speech, they use no words;
    no sound is heard from them.
Yet their voice[b] goes out into all the earth,
    their words to the ends of the world.
In the heavens God has pitched a tent for the sun.
    It is like a bridegroom coming out of his chamber,
    like a champion rejoicing to run his course.
It rises at one end of the heavens
    and makes its circuit to the other;
    nothing is deprived of its warmth.
The law of the Lord is perfect,
    refreshing the soul.
The statutes of the Lord are trustworthy,
    making wise the simple.
The precepts of the Lord are right,
    giving joy to the heart.
The commands of the Lord are radiant,
    giving light to the eyes.
The fear of the Lord is pure,
    enduring forever.
The decrees of the Lord are firm,
    and all of them are righteous.
10 They are more precious than gold,
    than much pure gold;
they are sweeter than honey,
    than honey from the honeycomb.
11 By them your servant is warned;
    in keeping them there is great reward.
12 But who can discern their own errors?
    Forgive my hidden faults.
13 Keep your servant also from willful sins;
    may they not rule over me.
Then I will be blameless,
    innocent of great transgression.
14 May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart
    be pleasing in your sight,
    Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.


In verses 1-6 David is singing about the sky.  I feel like a kindred spirit with David in these verses.  He too was hearing God speak to him through the sky.  Ellen White also talks a lot about how nature is another way to better understand our Lord.  He created it, and He created it for us.  The sky is more than just gasses, oxygen, light etc. 

I find it interesting that David actually says it speaks, without words, but it speaks.  How cool is that! 

  1.  What do the heavens say to us about who He is?
  2. Is there a moment for you when the sky spoke to you?
  3. Why does He give us the sky that "speaks" to us?  
  4. Why not just the written word?
  5. What does that say about God?
Let's move on to verse 7-13. 

This is one of the most beautiful passages about the law.  About God's requirements of us.  We too often think of rules and requirements as something that restricts us, as something that holds us back, as something that is a burden. Where does that idea come from? 

You all know I was a terribly stubborn child.  If I was told to do something every fiber of my being rebelled.  I wanted so much to not be told.  If I'm honest, I am still that way.  

Do you feel like David about the laws of God?

Everything He asks of us is for our benefit! Do you believe that?

I especially appreciated verse 12 and 13.  

"But who can discern their own errors?
    Forgive my hidden faults.
Keep your servant also from willful sins;
    may they not rule over me.
Then I will be blameless,
    innocent of great transgression."

Do we earnestly desire and work toward righteousness?  

In Proverbs 21:21 it reads,  "Whoever pursues righteousness and love finds life, prosperity and honor."

In Zephaniah 2:3 it says that we are to "seek the Lord... seek righteousness, seek humility..."

We know that the only way to gain salvation is to accept Jesus Christ as our Savior.  We also know that we cannot ever be righteous.  Right?

So why seek righteousness or why pursue righteousness?

This passage written by David makes it so clear.  It is so we can taste and experience the joy that comes from  serving our Lord.  It isn't so that we have salvation.  It isn't to work our way to heaven but to partake in all joy that comes from obeying His laws.  

David sings, "in keeping them is great reward."

So what do these two sections have to do with each other?

The last verse brings it all together. 

Verse 14: "May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart    be pleasing in your sight,    Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer."













Comments