Psalms 139



Good morning Class!

Question of the day is: What is something you hope for or dream about?

So today we are going to start looking at Psalm 139.  We may get through the whole Psalm or we may just start it.  I think Psalm 139 works well divided into three sections.  We may take a section each week. So let's get started.

Read Psalm 139:1-6

You have searched me, Lord,
    and you know me.
You know when I sit and when I rise;
    you perceive my thoughts from afar.
You discern my going out and my lying down;
    you are familiar with all my ways.
Before a word is on my tongue
    you, Lord, know it completely.
You hem me in behind and before,
    and you lay your hand upon me.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

So what are your thoughts about this passage?

Maybe we see this passage different depending on the day.  

Are there days you appreciate being transparent to God?
Are there days you wish you could hide?

It is possible to read this passage and think of Santa Clause who sees you when you're sleeping,  He knows when you're awake. He knows when you've been bad or good, So be good for goodness sake!

Is that how you see this passage?

Does it strike fear, and regret or do you echo David who writes, "such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too lofty for me to attain.

God is NOT Santa Clause. Yes He sees us when we are sleeping, and he knows when we're awake.  He knows when we have been bad or good, but this is a knowing, that is about so much more than seeing you and making lists of your actions.

This is more about God, understanding you.

He gets you!

Several weeks back we asked the question here in class about who you would choose to spend a weekend with if you needed some time to refresh.  Who and why?  The why almost unanimously was, "He or she really gets me." 

Your best friend, will undoubtedly get you, know you, understand you. 

That is what David is talking about.

God gets you!

He really understands you!

In verse 3, "you are familiar with all my ways."

verse 4, you know what I am going to say before I say it!

Instead of thinking of Santa Clause, I want you to think of the person who can finish your sentences. 
Do you have someone like that?
YES you do!  It may not be someone here, but your God.  Your God, knows you like that, and likes you like that!

READ: Psalm 139:7-12

Where can I go from your Spirit?
    Where can I flee from your presence?
If I go up to the heavens, you are there;
    if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.
If I rise on the wings of the dawn,
    if I settle on the far side of the sea,
10 even there your hand will guide me,
    your right hand will hold me fast.
11 If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me
    and the light become night around me,”
12 even the darkness will not be dark to you;
    the night will shine like the day,
    for darkness is as light to you.

If you are like me there are times an all knowing God, no matter what I know makes me want to hide.  There are times when I want to run from Him.

Have you ever wanted to hide from God?

If you are like me, I want to hide when I feel unworthy.  When I have messed up, or disappointed Him.  


In verse 8, even when I go up to the heavens....  Even when I've got it all together, you are there. When I am doing pretty good.... yep you are there.

and even when I make my bed in the depths you are there....

When we mess up dreadfully, HE IS THERE!  In the midst of it all, he is there and not just there to critique us and judge like Santa Clause.

What is God doing there?

Verse 10: even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast.

What is the right hand? 

The right hand is referenced 166 times in the bible.
It represents, 
ruler-ship
authority
sovereignty
blessing-strength

Jesus sits at the right hand of God.

Right hand is a place of strength and blessing. 

So even when I am in the depths, or flying high, His right hand still holds me.  

Do you get how beautiful this is.  Even in the depths, he is there guiding me, blessing me.  He has got me! 

Let's look at verse 11.

"If I say, "Surely the darkness will hide me...."

What is the darkness?

How many times do we let the "darkness" in our lives keep us from God.

What is your darkness?

Is there something in your life that brings you shame, and keeps you from coming to God?

VERSE 12!!!!  OH the GREAT NEWS!!!

"even the darkness will not be dark to you!"

I don't care what your darkness is, it is NOTHING to God!!!!!

Whatever it is that you are struggling with, I don't care how big, is NOTHING for God!

The darkness no matter how dark is as light to Him.

How is it as light to Him.

A cleansed heart glorifies Him!  Taking the darkness and shining His light, destroys the darkness. It is not only nothing to Him, it is something that when given to Him can be a light.

God wants to take our darkness and making as light!

Are you willing today to trust a God, who knows you through and through and wants to take your darkness and turn it into light?

I have many times said, "yea but... yea but my darkness...."

READ Psalms 139:13-18

For you created my inmost being;
    you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
    your works are wonderful,
    I know that full well.
15 My frame was not hidden from you
    when I was made in the secret place,
    when I was woven together in the depths of the earth.
16 Your eyes saw my unformed body;
    all the days ordained for me were written in your book
    before one of them came to be.
17 How precious to me are your thoughts,[a] God!
    How vast is the sum of them!
18 Were I to count them,
    they would outnumber the grains of sand
    when I awake, I am still with you.

God knows you!
God sees you!  
REALLY sees you!
God, is there for you!
God the authority of all authority, has you safely in His hand.
God, will take your darkness and it is NOTHING for him.
God created you!
God crafted you!
You are His AMAZING creation!!!!!

This God, this amazing God, will you spend time with Him this week?



Comments

  1. Yajairi - traveled back to Venezuela

    Rhonda Miller - dad had a massive stroke Friday

    Eli's surgery went well and is recovering nicely. Continued prayers.

    Nathan Settlemyre has a severe concussion. Needs prayer for healing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment