DAVID, a man after God's own heart!




Oh I wish I was there with you!  I yearn to be home!  I miss studying with you!  I miss the fellowship, the hugs, the laughter!  This life I lead that takes me away from my home church can be tiring.  There is something special about our church family and I miss you!

Question of the Day:  Is there a place you yearn to be? Why?

We are continuing our study of David.  I have to admit this week I identified with David in some ways.  I'm not being hunted, but I did spend my week going from one place to another.  I haven't felt settled.  David wasn't settled either.  Last week we read how he was told about the slaughter of the priests and an entire town. Many died because of him, because he didn't have faith and was afraid.

This week we will tackle just the first 5 verses of  1 Samuel chapter 23.

READ:  1 Samuel 23: 1-5

David Saves Keilah

23 When David was told, “Look, the Philistines are fighting against Keilah and are looting the threshing floors,” he inquired of the Lord, saying, “Shall I go and attack these Philistines?”
The Lord answered him, “Go, attack the Philistines and save Keilah.”
But David’s men said to him, “Here in Judah we are afraid. How much more, then, if we go to Keilah against the Philistine forces!”
Once again David inquired of the Lord, and the Lord answered him, “Go down to Keilah, for I am going to give the Philistines into your hand. So David and his men went to Keilah, fought the Philistines and carried off their livestock. He inflicted heavy losses on the Philistines and saved the people of Keilah. 
Right off the bat in verse 1 we see a different David.  This is not the same David that acted like a mad man.  This David has accepted that he is responsible for the senseless deaths and instead of going into a guilt laden depression, what does he do?
1. "He inquired of the Lord,"  
If we pay attention to nothing else today, let's get this!  How many times do we forget to do this simple yet life changing act, of asking the Lord?  I'm sure we are all quick to think, we do stop and ask, because sometimes we do, but how often do we use our own understanding, our own problem solving skills and decide to act like a mad man?  I also think it is important to note that he was asking if he should attack the Philistines.  Who were the Philistines.  If we were to talk in metaphors, the Philistines could be called all that is trying to destroy you and your God.  Wouldn't the answer be obvious?  So obvious that maybe you or I may not ask God?  Do we stop and ask if we should fight against what is evil?  Or is it a given?  
We should always go to God and ask!  The asking is important.  The asking is acknowledging His authority. The asking puts Him in the right place and reminds us of His sovereignty.  To ask is to not assume, which relies on our understanding or knowledge. 
2. He listened to God and told his men, that they were going into Keilah to save the town.  
I know you are thinking wait where did you get that.  It is implied.  His men questioned the sanity of this idea.  So he must have shared it with them.  Why is this important?
Maybe this has never happened to you, but sometimes I have asked God for His guidance and direction and then when He speaks, I think I must have heard Him wrong, and I keep asking or decide God isn't answering me and use my own ideas.  
How many times do we hear God, but question what we are hearing?
Have you ever heard Him, or thought you heard Him, but because it seemed so far fetched you ignored it.  
Have you heard all these amazing stories of people who feel impressed to stop and help someone, and they do and miraculous things happen?  We have all heard the stories.  Well sometime in the last 12 months I was driving along when I saw a motorist stranded on the side of the road.  I felt like I should stop and help, then I thought, "no that is stupid, you are a woman by yourself, it isn't safe."  Then I thought, "maybe that was God prompting you to stop?"  I would love to tell you I stopped.  I didn't!  I was like the men who were with David. I told myself, "this was a stupid idea."  I wasn't like David.  David heard God's answer and he told his men.  He believed God.
3.  David listened to his men.  He took their concern seriously.  We should listen and take into heart the thoughts and concerns of our team.  
4. David went back to God.  Instead of just saying, "Oh wow thanks for the input, of course, I'm sure you are right.  We will stay right here,"  he went back to God and asked Him again.  God wants us to keep coming to Him!  
5. When David heard God again, he then acted.  He went and with God was successful defeating the army and saving the people of Keilah. 

So let's review:. Problem, Ask God, Listen to God, Listen to your people, Ask God, Listen to God, Act, Win/Save. 
This is all great but not the best part of these 5 verses.  The best part of these 5 verses is what ultimately happens.  
In Chapter 22 David finds out that because of his lack of faith an entire town is destroyed and the priests were slaughtered.  Women and children, and innocent people lost their lives, because of him.
In Chapter 23 first 5 verses. David listens to God, has faith to step forward and David and his men save an entire town.  REDEMPTION!  
What a difference asking, listening and acting made!
What a beautiful thought that God gave David the opportunity to "Redeem" himself. (speaking in war terms.)
Redemption is a beautiful part of this passage.  David, the warrior, who had with great confidence,in what God could do through him, defeated Goliath, and then won many battles.  The same man, forgot what God had done, and acted like a mad man, stole, and it all resulted in the slaughter of many good and innocent people. The same man, realized the error of his ways, and when the next challenge arose, he again remembered to trust in God, to ask God, and though God, saved a town.  REDEMPTION!  It is important to note that there are consequences to Davids lack of faith.  God's redemption didn't bring the priests and the entire family/ town back to life.  David couldn't bring them back to life, no matter how much he said I'm sorry.  There are consequences that we can't change.  However, God is still willing to offer us redemption and in this instance he gave David an opportunity to through His power save a town.  REDEMPTION.  
There is so much to take away from this isn't there.
God is so kind to us! Such a patient parent.  
As a parent, if your child destroys one of your fine crystal goblets, do you give them another one to use or do you reach for a plastic cup?  If your teenager wrecks your car, do you hand them the keys to your spouses car?  
Now I realize that these are somewhat silly examples. Yet how beautiful that God gave David the opportunity to go and almost have a re-do.
Why?
David, was willing to acknowledge and rely on the power of God to do the work God was asking him to do. 
Is there something that God is asking you to come to Him about? 
Is there something you are afraid of?  
Is there an area of your life, that God is wanting to come in and guide and direct you?
Have you heard the voice of God asking you to do something?
Yet you don't see a way?
Maybe He is asking you to believe that with Him all things are possible.
If you have slaughtered an entire town with your lack of faith... God can and will redeem you! He just asks that you come to Him.  
I have some challenges for us this next week.
1. ASK! I want to challenge us all to stop and ask this next week.  I want to challenge you to stop and pray about things you may not normally ask him about. 
2. LISTEN!  Listen to what His answer is.  Listen to Him. 
3. ACT!!! I want to challenge us all to act when we here His answer. 
3. REMEMBER! I want to challenge us to keep in the forefront of our minds that "With God all things are possible."
4. PRAISE! I want to challenge us to give God the glory for the victories we experience.  
Happy Sabbath! 


Comments