DAVID A man after God's own heart.



Happy Sabbath!


So a huge thank you to Chris for teaching and writing last weeks lesson.  I'm so thankful to be past that civil war passage that read like a Hollywood movie I wouldn't want to watch. The disappointing fact is that I am so excited about this lesson and I can't be there with you. I will be at Nosoca Pines Ranch.  So Chris has agreed to teach for me. 

The question of the day:  What makes home home?

The time is FINALLY here.  The time has finally come.  DAVID is becoming king over Israel.  He has fought giants and been a refugee, and now he will be king. Of course once again there aren't nearly enough details to fulfill the woman in me.  I love that in the book Patriarchs and Prophets by Ellen White that she gives us some wonderful details. 

More than eight thousand of the descendants of Aaron and of the Levites waited upon David. The change in the sentiments of the people was marked and decisive. The revolution was quiet and dignified, befitting the great work they were doing. Nearly half a million souls, the former subjects of Saul, thronged Hebron and its environs. The very hills and valleys were alive with the multitudes. The hour for the coronation was appointed; the man who had been expelled from the court of Saul, who had fled to the mountains and hills and to the caves of the earth to preserve his life, was about to receive the highest honor that can be conferred upon man by his fellow man. Priests and elders, clothed in the garments of their sacred office, officers and soldiers with glittering spear and helmet, and strangers from long distances, stood to witness the coronation of the chosen king. David was arrayed in the royal robe. The sacred oil was put upon his brow by the high priest, for the anointing by Samuel had been prophetic of what would take place at the inauguration of the king. The time had come, and David, by solemn rite, was consecrated to his office as God's vicegerent. The scepter was placed in his hands. The covenant of his righteous sovereignty was written, and the people gave their pledges of loyalty. The diadem was placed upon his brow, and the coronation ceremony was over. Israel had a king by divine appointment. He who had waited patiently for the Lord, beheld the promise of God fulfilled. "And David went on, and grew great, and the Lord God of hosts was with him." 2 Samuel 5:10.

Now that is the scene in the movie that I would have my eyes open for.  I would love to have been there. I remember playing with scepters as a little girl when I played queen. 

Now let's read it in 2 Samuel chapter 5.

David Becomes King Over Israel 

All the tribes of Israel came to David at Hebron and said, “We are your own flesh and blood. In the past, while Saul was king over us, you were the one who led Israel on their military campaigns. And the Lord said to you, ‘You will shepherd my people Israel, and you will become their ruler.’”
When all the elders of Israel had come to King David at Hebron, the king made a covenant with them at Hebron before the Lord, and they anointed David king over Israel.
David was thirty years old when he became king, and he reigned forty years. In Hebron he reigned over Judah seven years and six months,and in Jerusalem he reigned over all Israel and Judah thirty-three years.

How many tribes came to David?
When David was anointed by Samuel who was David?
Did anyone see him as a King at the first anointing
A leader?
A warrior?
What was he?
Now all the tribes come to him and say what?
How important is it to be flesh and blood?
They acknowledge that David has been a warrior for them.  
Then to close the deal they use the words of God.
"You will shepherd my people Israel, and you will become their ruler.
When we think of David, we often think of David the warrior.  David and Goliath.  But David was a shepherd. Now after years of running, fighting, David is back to being what he knows best.  Being a shepherd.  This time not a shepherd of sheep but of Israel. 
We have said many times how God led him to the palace to play his harp for the King so he could see how things worked in the palace.  Training. Right? 
I'm sure that was helpful, but the training was to be done on his fathers land as a shepherd. The simple and demeaning task of being a shepherd, had prepared him for king. 
Didn't it? 
How did he kill Goliath?
Where did he practice his harp?
How else did being a shepherd prepare him for ruling Israel?
I find it fascinating that what God asks him to be is what he already knew.  To be a shepherd.
DAVID a man after God's own heart....
What do we know about Jesus as our shepherd?

John 10:11-18

11 “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. 12 The hired hand is not the shepherd and does not own the sheep. So when he sees the wolf coming, he abandons the sheep and runs away. Then the wolf attacks the flock and scatters it. 13 The man runs away because he is a hired hand and cares nothing for the sheep.
14 “I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me—15 just as the Father knows me and I know the Father—and I lay down my life for the sheep. 16 I have other sheep that are not of this sheep pen. I must bring them also. They too will listen to my voice, and there shall be one flock and one shepherd. 17 The reason my Father loves me is that I lay down my life—only to take it up again. 18 No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. This command I received from my Father.”
David a man after God's own heart.
What similarities do we see between David the shepherd and the Good Shepherd? 
What differences do we see?
Are we sheep or shepherds?
As sheep what can we take away from this lesson?
As shepherds what can we take away from this lesson?
I am sure that David while tending his fathers sheep was tempted to be filled with discontent.  We know David was talented, smart, physically strong, driven, good looking, all of which could have contributed to bitterness for being stuck with the sheep.  Instead David used what he was given by God to be the best shepherd, which prepared him to be King.  If we are faithful in the little things...
No matter where you are in your life, live it for God.
If you are sitting on the side of the hill wishing you had a "real" job... be the best hill sitter you can be. Maybe there is something you can learn today that will pull you through tomorrow. 
If you are currently the King... don't forget that being a King or Queen means laying it all down for those you serve...
If you know that God has another, better, different, opportunity...be patient, look to Him daily and ask for His direction for today.  He is preparing you even now. 
If you feel like you have spent most of your life on the run, hiding, and being hunted.... the city of refuge is around the corner.

Here is the beauty of this simple passage.
  1. God chose David because he needed a good shepherd to care for His people. 
  2. If we are faithful in the little things....
  3. God didn't take David from shepherd boy to King.  He took a talented first class shepherd and gave him a different flock.
  4. As sheep, trust your shepherd. He is taking you to the pen, the the city of refuge.
  5. As a shepherd, remember it isn't about power and the glamour but about sacrifice, relationship, love, and being a warrior for your sheep.
I hope that today you leave this passage reminded of who your shepherd is.  Reminded that no matter where you are in life, you can trust that He is watching over you, caring for you, preparing you, and leading you to the city of refuge.  


Comments