DAVID A man after God's own heart.



Good morning! 

Question of the Day:  What is something that benefits your health that you love to do!

A huge thanks to Carolyn Kendall for teaching today.  I know it will be a blessing to each of you. 

Today we are reading 2 Samuel chapter 6.  It is a challenging chapter for sure.


READ: 2 Samuel 6: 1-8
Moving the Ark to Jerusalem
Then David again gathered all the elite troops in Israel, 30,000 in all.He led them to Baalah of Judah[a] to bring back the Ark of God, which bears the name of the Lord of Heaven’s Armies,[b] who is enthroned between the cherubim. They placed the Ark of God on a new cart and brought it from Abinadab’s house, which was on a hill. Uzzah and Ahio, Abinadab’s sons, were guiding the cart that carried the Ark of God.[c]Ahio walked in front of the Ark. David and all the people of Israel were celebrating before the Lord, singing songs[d] and playing all kinds of musical instruments—lyres, harps, tambourines, castanets, and cymbals.
But when they arrived at the threshing floor of Nacon, the oxen stumbled, and Uzzah reached out his hand and steadied the Ark of God.Then the Lord’s anger was aroused against Uzzah, and God struck him dead because of this.[e] So Uzzah died right there beside the Ark of God.
David was angry because the Lord’s anger had burst out against Uzzah. He named that place Perez-uzzah (which means “to burst out against Uzzah”), as it is still called today.

Ok we have to take a break and deal with this.  The first time I read it I was confused at best, and questioning everything I knew about God at worst.  Seriously this seems harsh. I am afraid I would be just like David and be mad at God.  
However I KNOW God.  I know he gave up everything for us!  I know he wants what is best so... I need to dig deeper. 

In Patriarchs and Prophets, Ellen White writes... "Through Moses the Lord had given special instruction concerning the transportation of the ark. None but the priests, the descendants of Aaron, were to touch it, or even to look upon it uncovered. The divine direction was, "The sons of Kohath shall come to bear it: but they shall not touch any holy thing, lest they die." Numbers 4:15. The priests were to cover the ark, and then the Kohathites must lift it by the staves, which were placed in rings upon each side of the ark and were never removed. To the Gershonites and Merarites, who had in charge the curtains and boards and pillars of the tabernacle, Moses gave carts and oxen for the transportation of that which was committed to them. "But unto the sons of Kohath he gave none: because the service of the sanctuary belonging unto them was that they should bear upon their shoulders." Numbers 7:9. Thus in the bringing of the ark from Kirjath-jearim there had been a direct and inexcusable disregard of the Lord's directions."  
David had just demonstrated to us the importance of asking for God's direction and then following what he said carefully, and then giving Him all the praise.  That was last weeks lesson.... just in the previous chapter and here.... David seemed to make this more about the processional, the glory of bring home the ark, and completely neglected to do what God asked.  
How many times do we do what we want instead of what we know he has told us to do?
What is the result?
For years and years I have eaten in a way that I knew I shouldn't.  More importantly in a way I have been instructed not to do.... and the result.... We don't have an ark or a most holy place for the Lord to dwell.... where does He dwell....
I didn't treat that dwelling place very well!  
It isn't only about what I eat or don't eat.  
What are some other ways that we "mistreat" the "temple of God."
What we eat.
What we watch.
What we listen to.
What we say about ourselves.
I have been learning a new song this week.  Actually it is just a little chorus that is sung in the middle of the song, "Tis so sweet to trust in Jesus."  The words say, "I won't walk by what I see, or what has been spoken over me, that doesn't line up with your word, written on my heart, and I won't worry I will not fear, because I know that you are near whispering peace be still over me." 
If we do walk by what we see had what has been spoken over us when it doesn't line up with His word then.... We defile the "temple of God."
What about what has been done to us?
Everyday Satan is trying to harm us, mentally, physically, spiritually, sexually. To those who are not allowed to touch the "ark" what happens.  
Obviously every perpetrator doesn't fall dead when they touch or violate us.... (that would reduce the number of rapes wouldn't it!) but what we do know from this story is that HE will deal with them! 
As a central part of our church we believe in the health message.  We believe that we are supposed to take care of our bodies because that is where he dwells. Taking care of our bodies also includes our minds, and our hearts. 
I have struggled this week with feelings of inadequacies. Questioning my ability to accomplish some tasks that are ahead of me. These questions and digressed into a pile of stink that I have been wallowing in this week.  
This lesson is a beautiful reminder that I can't do that! 
THIS PLACE.... THIS TEMPLE IS SACRED AND I MUST STOP TREATING IT SO POORLY!
God has given specific instructions.  He has told me who I am! He has given us health principals to follow!  He has told us to rest.... really rest in Him every Sabbath....He has said to let go of stress, "come to me if you have any burdens and I will take them and give you rest".... and on and on.  Am I going to be like David in chapter 5 and listen to his instruction and follow it to the letter.... or..... will I be like David in the 6th chapter and defile the ark?

Let's continue reading verses 9-23

David was now afraid of the Lord, and he asked, “How can I ever bring the Ark of the Lord back into my care?” 10 So David decided not to move the Ark of the Lord into the City of David. Instead, he took it to the house of Obed-edom of Gath. 11 The Ark of the Lord remained there in Obed-edom’s house for three months, and the Lord blessed Obed-edom and his entire household.
12 Then King David was told, “The Lord has blessed Obed-edom’s household and everything he has because of the Ark of God.” So David went there and brought the Ark of God from the house of Obed-edom to the City of David with a great celebration. 13 After the men who were carrying the Ark of the Lord had gone six steps, David sacrificed a bull and a fattened calf. 14 And David danced before the Lord with all his might, wearing a priestly garment.[f] 15 So David and all the people of Israel brought up the Ark of the Lord with shouts of joy and the blowing of rams’ horns.

Michal’s Contempt for David

16 But as the Ark of the Lord entered the City of David, Michal, the daughter of Saul, looked down from her window. When she saw King David leaping and dancing before the Lord, she was filled with contempt for him.
17 They brought the Ark of the Lord and set it in its place inside the special tent David had prepared for it. And David sacrificed burnt offerings and peace offerings to the Lord. 18 When he had finished his sacrifices, David blessed the people in the name of the Lord of Heaven’s Armies. 19 Then he gave to every Israelite man and woman in the crowd a loaf of bread, a cake of dates,[g] and a cake of raisins. Then all the people returned to their homes.
20 When David returned home to bless his own family, Michal, the daughter of Saul, came out to meet him. She said in disgust, “How distinguished the king of Israel looked today, shamelessly exposing himself to the servant girls like any vulgar person might do!”
21 David retorted to Michal, “I was dancing before the Lord, who chose me above your father and all his family! He appointed me as the leader of Israel, the people of the Lord, so I celebrate before the Lord. 22 Yes, and I am willing to look even more foolish than this, even to be humiliated in my own eyes! But those servant girls you mentioned will indeed think I am distinguished!” 23 So Michal, the daughter of Saul, remained childless throughout her entire life.

This story shows a bit of Davids attitude.  First he was so afraid that he refused to bring the ark home. Then when he saw the blessings the keepers of the ark were receiving he wanted it back.  This time he did follow the instructions of God.  Then he danced like a crazy guy and his wife was embarrassed and  tried to shame him but he didn't care!
The David who danced like a crazy man for God and didn't care.... that is the Beth I want to be?
You don't have to answer this out loud but....
If you could do something for God, something that maybe would be misunderstood or criticized what would it be? 
This chapter has challenged me!  Challenged me to:
1. View the caring of this body, mind, and soul as important as the care of the ark was to the Lord!
If how the ark was transported and cared for was so important to God that he would strike dead anyone who disobeyed, then this body of mine, this mind, this soul, must be important to Him too! 
2. I am going to think about what I would do for God if I wasn't scared to be misunderstood or criticized. When I figure it out.... I'm going to do it!
So one day soon if you see me doing or saying something outrageous....just remember David! 
Happy Sabbath!

Comments