DAVID A man after God's own heart! Sing a Song.



Sing a Song

Good morning class.  Chris and I are out of town this weekend and I am so thankful that Mark Waugh has agreed to teach this class!  Thank you so much Mark.  

Question of the day: What is a song that you loved to sing as a child and why?

This morning we are really just finishing last weeks lesson.  We tried to get through 2 Samuel 22, but we didn't make.  So today we will just finish it up! I would suggest you review the first part.  I will just say this.  The last sentence, states, "with God I can scale a wall."  I have never scaled a wall by myself.  With a group during summer camp I have, but alone, nope, never done it.  It is something that I know I couldn't do alone.  I love that about verse 30.  With God I can navigate this life, no matter what walls are in front of me.  I can get over barriers I wouldn't eve try to do on my own, but with him, yep up and over I go! 

2 Samuel 22: 31-51

“As for God, his way is perfect:
    The Lord’s word is flawless;
    he shields all who take refuge in him.
32 For who is God besides the Lord?
    And who is the Rock except our God?
33 It is God who arms me with strength[h]
    and keeps my way secure.
34 He makes my feet like the feet of a deer;
    he causes me to stand on the heights.
35 He trains my hands for battle;
    my arms can bend a bow of bronze.
36 You make your saving help my shield;
    your help has made[i] me great.
37 You provide a broad path for my feet,
    so that my ankles do not give way.

I want you to take a moment and unpack what it means to you that 
“As for God, his way is perfect:
Do we really believe that?
When do we struggle with living like we believe it?

When I read this passage all I can think about is running the half marathon.  Well, running may have been to strong a term.
When have you run a race, or challenged yourself physically? If you are anything like me can you imagine if the God who created you was running with you and causing you to have feet like a deer?
What about life?
Do you have an illustration of when God provided a broad path for your feet?

38 “I pursued my enemies and crushed them;
    I did not turn back till they were destroyed.
39 I crushed them completely, and they could not rise;
    they fell beneath my feet.

This week I have been fighting sickness.  You know what that feels like right?  It hasn't hit, but everyday you can tell you body is fighting something.  If I am ever in doubt about the fact that my body is fighting sickness, the birth of a fever blister confirms it.  Knowing our trip was up coming I kept drinking water, and trying to sleep enough, eat good food, eat lots and lots of grapefruit and oranges.  Trying to battle with the enemy.  So far it has been successful.  I love verse 38, "I pursued my enemies and crushed them."
This challenged me this week!  Pursue your enemies Beth and crush them!  Hmmmm.
Is that even Christian?
What are your enemies right now?
Are you willing to go pursue them, crush them, not turn back until they are destroyed?
Sometimes I want to just sit back and let God.  We have cute sayings about doing that. We will see in the next several verses and from the ones we just read that we don't crush anything without him, but we have a part!  We also have to do! WE have to pursue and crush!

We don't crush our enemies just sitting in our safe place.  We have to move!

40 You armed me with strength for battle;
    you humbled my adversaries before me.
41 You made my enemies turn their backs in flight,
    and I destroyed my foes.
42 They cried for help, but there was no one to save them—
    to the Lord, but he did not answer.
43 I beat them as fine as the dust of the earth;
    I pounded and trampled them like mud in the streets.
44 “You have delivered me from the attacks of the peoples;
    you have preserved me as the head of nations.
People I did not know now serve me,
45     foreigners cower before me;
    as soon as they hear of me, they obey me.
46 They all lose heart;
    they come trembling[j] from their strongholds.

These verses show the beautiful picture, (OK not beautiful but powerful) powerful picture of God working with us to destroy our enemies.  

What do you think of verse 42?

Does this show a heartless God?

I want you to think about what it is that you are fighting.

For example. I am fighting right now to get off 7 or so pounds that have found their way back onto my being.  All that comes with pounds, the emotional baggage, whatever it is that keeps me from eating and moving the way I should.  

When I think of those things crying out for help.  They want to hang around, they want to cause me to continue in this trend.  When I make them the "they" then this verse is so comforting!!!!

No matter how hard the opponent tries, he is no match for God! 

What are you fighting?

Do you really believe that it is no match for God?

47 “The Lord lives! Praise be to my Rock!
    Exalted be my God, the Rock, my Savior!
48 He is the God who avenges me,
    who puts the nations under me,
49     who sets me free from my enemies.
You exalted me above my foes;
    from a violent man you rescued me.
50 Therefore I will praise you, Lord, among the nations;
    I will sing the praises of your name.
51 “He gives his king great victories;
    he shows unfailing kindness to his anointed,
    to David and his descendants forever.”

This last section is a song!  A beautiful praise to God.  

I want to challenge you to sing the next time you find yourself struggling!  Sing!  Listen to a praise song and sing!  Find yourself a private spot if needed but let the power of praise be on your lips!

Last week I told you about crying out to God!  This week I want to challenge you to sing out to God! Sing a song! I have added a couple of songs for your enjoyment.  Songs can be like our battle cry.  

Have you ever listened to a tennis match.  The grunting is at times uncomfortable to listen to. Yet for some reason grunting helps their game.  

Singing can help us in this match called life!  SING!!!!!!!!!!!!



ONE IS JUST NOT ENOUGH!!!!!



Comments