An intimate knowledge


An Intimate Knowledge

Good morning class.  Today we are starting a new study.  This is one that is very dear to my heart.  When I was back in 8th grade my English teacher had each of us take on the task of what she called, "Major Memorization."  It had to be a long passage of some kind.  We could choose what it was but she had to approve it for content and length.  I decided that if I was going to spend much of that nine weeks memorizing something it might as well be the bible.  After all, we should be memorizing scripture.  So I took in several long Psalms and none of them were long enough.  Finally we agreed on.... the entire book of 1st John.  It isn't a long book until you try to memorize the entire book.  In addition to memorizing it, we also had to perform it in front of an audience.  When I took on the challenge what I never dreamed was how much the process would change me.  Memorizing scripture is powerful!  When we KNOW scripture it comes to mind at the most random times.  When we KNOW scripture it lives in us.  It becomes part of our conscious and our subconscious.  Some how I think I always thought of memorizing scripture as a tool to evangelize in a moments notice, to defend your faith, or to have in your heart when bibles are taken away.  That is true and good but memorizing is something that helps us today and everyday.  It becomes part of your cells, part of who you are.  

As we look at these three books, I want to challenge you to spend some extra time memorizing passages.  At least a verse a week, but maybe more.  Somehow in our culture memorization ends when we graduate to adult class.  It is my hope that we will change that culture and start memorizing passages in our class.  

That leads me to the question of the day:  What is your favorite verse in the bible that you know by memory?


READ: 1 John 1:1-4

The Incarnation of the Word of Life

That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked at and our hands have touched—this we proclaim concerning the Word of life. The life appeared; we have seen it and testify to it, and we proclaim to you the eternal life, which was with the Father and has appeared to us. We proclaim to you what we have seen and heard, so that you also may have fellowship with us. And our fellowship is with the Father and with his Son, Jesus Christ. We write this to make our[a] joy complete.

Verse one is such a beautiful testimony.  Right! "That which was from the beginning.... "  God himself, we have heard, seen with our eyes, we have looked at and our hands have touched...

Let's unpack this. 

The author has heard God.

Have you ever heard God?

I have never heard the audible voice of God.  I am fascinated with peoples voice.  It is such an instrument and varies greatly.  Part of your voice is genetics but much of your voice is learned.  Voices can be soothing, strong, rough, smooth, gentle, light, dark.  Some voices are as clear as a bell and others muddy or even nasally.

What do you think the voice of God is like?

What a privileged to hear the voice of God. 

In our culture today, online dating has become a thing.  More than a thing actually, I heard this week that almost half of all marriages today started by meeting online.  That is crazy!  So when you meet someone online, you first start with just writing and connecting with the written word and pictures.  Then if you are interested you can start talking on the phone and then meeting each other.... Or that is how it has worked for those that I know who have tried it. 

There is a big step between just reading texts and messages and talking.  There is something intimate and more connected about talking.  Hearing the voice is an important part of getting to know each other. 

Can we hear the voice of God?

Can we recognize the voice of God?

I said at the beginning I have not heard the audible voice of God.  Yet I can confidently say I can recognize the voice of God!  How?

In college I took sign language.  That was a fascinating class.  They recognize voices even though they don't hear.  They recognize voice, through written word.  Even without the sounds we all have a different cadence, a different style, a different "voice". 

The more we KNOW God the more we will KNOW his voice.

There is no question I can't wait to HEAR His voice, but in the meantime we can recognize his voice but listening to it as often as possible. 

"Which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked at."

What is the difference?

There is a difference right!

I can see something, but to look upon, to gaze at to soak it in is different. 

Do you remember those moments when you walk in your babies room to check on them and just gaze at them as they sleep?  Ahhh that is to look at.... to gaze upon.

Do you remember just sitting as staring at your love, looking into their eyes?

There was an experiment done where they took total strangers into a room and asked them to sit down in a chair facing each other and never say a word.  They walked in in silence sat down and just gazed into each others eyes for a long period of time.  It was crazy hearing their reactions.  It was a very intimate, (and weird) way of getting to know someone but they did feel a sense of connection with each other after the exercise. 

How do we look at God?

How do we gaze upon him?


"Our hands have touched."

Touch. 

How important is touch?

Can you say you have touched God?

What must that be like.

I can remember sitting in my grandfathers lap while he read bible stories to me and touching the side of his face.  I loved the feel of his stubble at the end of the day.  I loved feeling his skin.  I also loved to play with the wrinkles on my grandmothers hands.  Touching them was an intimate and beautiful experience that I still remember and cherish. 

What must it be like to touch God himself.  To feel His skin, to feel Him hold you! Wow!

I will never forget the weekend Amy got married.  I was involved in decorating, giving her a shower, getting myself ready and Anna too.  I pulled an all nighter and then it was an all day long, long day.  When I got home after the reception, I fell, literally fell into Chris's lap and I will never forget the feeling of his strong arms keeping me in his lap.  I often take that moment and imagine God wrapping me up in his lap when I am exhausted and think I can't go another step.

Why am I spending so much time on the first verse?

If you don't know God in this kind of way.  If you don't know that you can say you have heard him, seen him, touched him, then this book is for you!  John was writing to those who had not all had the privilege.  This book is written by someone who DID know God and loved God intimately! He is testifying throughout this book so that you too can experience God and KNOW God.

Even though Jesus is not here for us to hear and touch and gaze upon, he left His Holy Spirit so that He would still be with us.  Just like the deaf can still enjoy music, and poetry, and hear each others voices through sign or written word, with the Holy Spirit we can say that we have seen, gazed upon, heard and touched God!  It is possible and these 3 short books will helps us do just that.

I again want to challenge you to memorize!!!!! That is one of the most powerful ways of gaining an intimate KNOWLEDGE of God.

Let HIS WORD, become part of your being!

John ends this passage with the statement that he is writing this so that his joy will be complete.  If you have heard, seen, and touched God then you must share it with others!  It is how your joy will be complete. 

So no matter where you are at in this walk with God, it is my prayer that as we study these books together that we will all hear, see, gaze upon, and touch God! May we know him intimately! May we share Him continually so that our joy will be complete!

Now go and LOVE WELL!





Comments