Psalms 4














Psalm 4 


Question of the day:  

When is a  time when you remember having an incredibly peaceful sleep?  What was one of the contributing factors? 

Today has been a glorious long and fulfilling day.  Sarah graduated with her Masters Degree today from UT Chattanooga.  It was a wonderful day of family and friends.  I crawled into bed after the long day and was praying and counting my blessings, and the thought came to me, "We should have a family Sabbath School tomorrow.....SABBATH SCHOOL!"  I had forgotten to arrange anything.  The lesson wasn't written, and I had not chosen a teacher.  

I will try to do that first thing tomorrow, however if nothing else, please study Psalms 4 together.


**** LAST WEEK, I had one of those moments that I will not soon forget.  We were studying Psalm 8 and we were all talking about the "infant" in the verse, and Pastor Ryan spoke up and said that this was really about how great God is!  That has been running through my mind all week.  So here are some thoughts.

1. It is and should always be about how great, how big, how strong, how majestic, God is!  It is about Him!  When we read His word, we should see Him!

2. We way too often make everything about US!

So there is a new rule!

Not only will we be looking for the life application in each passage we study, but we will be seeking to see and better know God.  So, today as you read, ask these questions.

1. What does this passage tell you about God?
2. What does this passage challenge us to be or do in our lives? 

This Psalm is broken up into three parts.  

The first verse is David crying out to God.
Then verse 2-5 he is arguing with his enemies.
Then he ends it again talking about God and to God.

This is important to note as we discuss it.  


Psalm 4

Answer me when I call to you,
    my righteous God.
Give me relief from my distress;
    have mercy on me and hear my prayer.
How long will you people turn my glory into shame?
    How long will you love delusions and seek false gods[b]?[c]
Know that the Lord has set apart his faithful servant for himself;
    the Lord hears when I call to him.
Tremble and[d] do not sin;
    when you are on your beds,
    search your hearts and be silent.
Offer the sacrifices of the righteous
    and trust in the Lord.
Many, Lord, are asking, “Who will bring us prosperity?”
    Let the light of your face shine on us.
Fill my heart with joy
    when their grain and new wine abound.
In peace I will lie down and sleep,
    for you alone, Lord,
    make me dwell in safety.

We will look at this verse by verse.  Remember verse one he is crying out to God and then in verse 2-5 he is basically arguing with his enemies.  Then he ends it speaking of God and to God.  

Verse 1. 

First what to we learn about God from this verse?
What does it say about God that David crying out to Him?

David starts this crying out to God, then he starts talking with his enemies...what is the life application here for us?

I have a real challenge with confronting my enemy, and I know you do too!  When to speak up, how to speak up, when to be silent, what to say and not to say, are all struggles.  How much better off, how much more confident would we all be if we spent more time crying out to God first!

Verse 2 and 3

What do we see or learn about God in these verses?
What does it mean to love delusions and seek false gods? (for us)
The Lord has set apart his faithful servant for himself.... What does this say about our God?
Because of God and what He has done, what does this say about you?  You are set apart! As children of God we are "chosen" we are His!  What comes with the title, so to speak? 
What is the life application in these two verses?

Verse 4 and 5

"Tremble and do not sin..."   Here is almost an evangelistic passage.  David is telling his enemies to get right.  How many of us and those in the world who turn this verse around backwards.  We, "sin and do not tremble."  When you hear it reversed doesn't it make this verse a little bit more clear the right way?  
Isn't the first step in coming to Christ, understanding our need? David is asking them to understand their need! Both of these verses are about getting REAL!  
What is the life application for us?

"While you are on your bed search your hearts and be silent..."
What does this mean?    Have you ever had a restless night?  A night when you just can't sleep?  A night when you lay on your bed, silent with thoughts that are quite loud as you search your heart.  When you get real? 

I have had many of those over the years.  One I remember so vividly is one when I faced for the first time my addiction to food.  It was laying in bed, searching my heart, facing somethings I didn't want to face that led to getting up the next day and starting to make some changes.  It was God doing a work on me while I was silent.

Then in verse 5 after searching their hearts and being silent, and getting REAL, David tells them to do what?

Searching our hearts should always send us to a place of surrendering to God.  Giving what we find, over to Him.  

What do we learn about God in this passage?
What is the life application for us?

Verse 6 and 7

This ending is a powerful praise, and evening song that is the cry of my heart.  

It is important that we cry out to God.  

Oh how I also long for the "light of His face" to shine on me.  Oh how I long to be in His presence! Can you imagine the light of His face shining on you?  I want you to imagine for a moment that he is just smiling at you..... He is grinning ear to ear, so happy and excited to see you too.  It is a smile that KNOWS you, that draws you in!  Oh how I long for that.  

What do these verses tell us about the God we serve? 
About the God we surrender to?
About the God that we search our hearts for?

Because of who He is what is the life application for us?

Verse 8

Last night when I read this verse I cried it out to God, almost as a plea instead of a statement.  It was my need. It was my desire, but I wasn't there! 

I so much love this verse ending this Psalm.

The peace we all so desperately need is our for the asking!  We can sleep with a peace that doesn't' make sense because....

.... of WHO HE IS!

Because of who our God is, because of Him alone, His character, love, redemption, protection, kindness, long suffering, grace, understanding, we can sleep in peace!

KNOW LOVE.
LIVE LOVE.
SHARE LOVE.

HAPPY SABBATH!!!!!





Comments