Psalm 25

Psalm 25

Question of the day: What is the best advice you have ever received?


Well we are finished with Genesis and we are now taking a couple weeks to enjoy the Psalms.  Every Psalm is a treasure so choosing one is always difficult.  Today I chose one of my favorite.  It is long but just take it slow and if you don't finish it we can pick it up next week.  

I'm at Nosoca this weekend so a huge thanks to Paul for stepping in. 



Psalm 25

Of David.

In you, Lord my God,
    I put my trust.
I want to stop for just a second and talk about this verse.  I realize it doesn't seem like much but I have a few questions.

1.  What does it mean to put our trust in God?
2. When do we have a hard time trusting Him?
3. When does trusting Him seem to come easier?
4. What are some evidences that we are trusting Him? 
5. What are some evidences that we are not trusting Him?
6. In this sentence David isn't asking for trust, he is stating his trust in God, why?

Let's keep going....
I trust in you;
    do not let me be put to shame,
    nor let my enemies triumph over me.
No one who hopes in you
    will ever be put to shame,
but shame will come on those
    who are treacherous without cause.

Again David starts this with the statement that he trusts God. 

I thought the way Eugene Peterson paraphrased these verses in the message was interesting.

"I've thrown in my lot with you; You won't embarrass me, will you? Or let my enemies get the best of me? Don't embarrass any of us who went out on a limb for you.  It is the traitors who should be humiliated."

I liked his paraphrased because it makes it all sound very conversational with God.  I believe this was a conversation like that. 

Do you have just conversations with God? Or do you think our prayer time should be formal?

Show me your ways, Lord,
    teach me your paths.
Guide me in your truth and teach me,
    for you are God my Savior,
    and my hope is in you all day long.
Remember, Lord, your great mercy and love,
    for they are from of old.
Do not remember the sins of my youth
    and my rebellious ways;
according to your love remember me,
    for you, Lord, are good.

This is one of my favorite passages in the bible!  This past week I saw a commercial that showed people out in the wild frolicking on mountain tops, and skipping through the woods, just freely experiencing nature.  I wondered if I were given the chance would I feel free or worry about snakes, bears, murderers etc.  Would I feel comfortable to walk in the wilderness by myself.... most likely not! 

The idea that in this life, in my everyday walk, He is my guide is an amazing visual.  I can imagine skipping through fields and not worrying about snakes but just enjoying all that is around me....

How does that translate to our everyday lives?
How do we live differently because He is our guide?

What do you make of verses 6 and 7?
David is telling God what to do.  

"...according to your love remember me, for you, Lord, are good."

Why does David say this and what does it mean?

Good and upright is the Lord;
    therefore he instructs sinners in his ways.
He guides the humble in what is right
    and teaches them his way.
10 All the ways of the Lord are loving and faithful
    toward those who keep the demands of his covenant.
11 For the sake of your name, Lord,
    forgive my iniquity, though it is great.

...He guides the humble in what is right...

What is important or note worthy about this statement?
Do you see this as him rewarding those who are humble... example, "I will only guide the humble..."?

Or....

Is this just a fact, just the way it is.  He will guide the humble because you can't guide someone who ISN'T humble!?

12 Who, then, are those who fear the Lord?
    He will instruct them in the ways they should choose.[b]
13 They will spend their days in prosperity,
    and their descendants will inherit the land.
14 The Lord confides in those who fear him;
    he makes his covenant known to them.
15 My eyes are ever on the Lord,
    for only he will release my feet from the snare.


16 Turn to me and be gracious to me,
    for I am lonely and afflicted.
17 Relieve the troubles of my heart
    and free me from my anguish.
18 Look on my affliction and my distress
    and take away all my sins.
19 See how numerous are my enemies
    and how fiercely they hate me!

"...take away all my sins."
These 4 verses are the cry of my heart!  
 In verse 16... "I am lonely and afflicted..."
David in this verse asks for the following...
1. Turn to me (look at me!)
2. Be gracious
3. Relieve  me
4. Free me
5. Take away

If you were today to turn to God and say,   "God look at me.... Be gracious because I am....
Relieve me of.... Free me from.... and take away....... What would you write in?

How would you write these 4 verses? 

 Example:  "God look at me I am stressed with no time to get all that is weighing me down...."

20 Guard my life and rescue me;
    do not let me be put to shame,
    for I take refuge in you.
21 May integrity and uprightness protect me,
    because my hope, Lord,[c] is in you.
22 Deliver Israel, O God,
    from all their troubles!

How does David end this Psalm? 

This entire Psalm has really been all about him.  His need, he is crying out for God to help him, and his very last words were for Israel.  

If you are worried about your kids... stop and cry out to God for him to help you first! 

If you are worried about your friend or you siblings or your church or your country, cry out to God, asking him to guide you, to heal you, to rescue you and then.... Pray for Israel.  

Know Love.
Live Love.
Share Love.


Comments