Psalm 27

Psalm 27

Question of the day:  If you could have had a sit down conversation with God, face to face this past week, what is a question you would have liked to ask? 


My answer to the question of the day is this... I would have asked God, "Please explain Ephesians 5:21-33 to me! Please make it crystal clear!"  I just realized those aren't really questions, but a question would be too leading.  I really needed to have that sit down conversation with him this past week.  

After Pastor Ryan's sermon this past week I have been really struggling with the passage we were supposed to be looking at today.  When I say struggling, I mean struggling.  Let me make one thing clear, I agreed with everything Ryan said, or at least in the past I have believed the same... but this past week I have been really wrestling with a huge paradigm shift that has me unsure of how to proceed.  So yesterday evening after an entire week of working on the lesson, I decided that I needed another week and I wanted to be here so that I don't make anyone else teach that class for me.  By next week, I may be past it all and it may end up being nothing... but right now I am just too unsure to write anything in confidence.  So....we are taking a break and looking at a Psalm that really meant the world to me this week. When reading this Psalm it was my cry and the last verse convinced me that this was the lesson for this week and we will wait on Ephesians till next week.  I pray it is also a passage that can bless you! 

Read Psalm 27

Psalm 27

Of David.

The Lord is my light and my salvation
    whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the stronghold of my life
    of whom shall I be afraid?
When the wicked advance against me
    to devour me,
it is my enemies and my foes
    who will stumble and fall.
Though an army besiege me,
    my heart will not fear;
though war break out against me,
    even then I will be confident.
One thing I ask from the Lord,
    this only do I seek:
that I may dwell in the house of the Lord
    all the days of my life,
to gaze on the beauty of the Lord
    and to seek him in his temple.
For in the day of trouble
    he will keep me safe in his dwelling;
he will hide me in the shelter of his sacred tent
    and set me high upon a rock.
Then my head will be exalted
    above the enemies who surround me;
at his sacred tent I will sacrifice with shouts of joy;
    I will sing and make music to the Lord.
Hear my voice when I call, Lord;
    be merciful to me and answer me.
My heart says of you, “Seek his face!
    Your face, Lord, I will seek.
Do not hide your face from me,
    do not turn your servant away in anger;
    you have been my helper.
Do not reject me or forsake me,
    God my Savior.
10 Though my father and mother forsake me,
    the Lord will receive me.
11 Teach me your way, Lord;
    lead me in a straight path
    because of my oppressors.
12 Do not turn me over to the desire of my foes,
    for false witnesses rise up against me,
    spouting malicious accusations.
13 I remain confident of this:
    I will see the goodness of the Lord
    in the land of the living.
14 Wait for the Lord;
    be strong and take heart
    and wait for the Lord.
We are going to look at this in sections.  

Verse 1-3:  What a beautiful opening.  

When you think about the Lord being your light what comes to mind? 

This past week I had the amazing privilege of watching Nolan, my 10 week old grandson. Oh what a joy that was!  Nolan has a fascination with light.  If there is a light on in the room, he turns finds it and then is fixated on that light.  It is hard to get him to move his gaze.  When I read this passage I couldn't help but think of how important always but especially as I struggle with a passage of scripture to keep my eyes on HIM!  To keep looking at HIS character, HIS word, and spending lots of time in prayer to HIM! 

Is there something in you life that needs a little Light?

Nolan also when tired, loves to be held or swaddled tightly.  If you wrap him up like a little burrito or just hold him in such a way that his legs and arms are snug against you then you can feel his entire body relax and he is very soon fast asleep.  

Is that what it means for the Lord to be the stronghold of our lives?

What do you think of when you read that he is the stronghold?

The word for stronghold means,  "a place or means of safety, protection"

Continuing on in verse 3

Though an army besiege me, 
my heart will not fear;
though war break out against me,
            even then I will be confident.
Is there someway that you are lacking in confidence?  Is there something you are afraid of?

Why is being a confident Christian important or is it?

What do you have confidence about?

Verses 4-5:

Did any of you ask this one thing of God when you asked the question of the day?

On Thursday morning, knowing that this was my last day with Nolan, I became quite teary.  I kept looking at him and thinking that the days of families all living together NEED to come back!  We need to buy a really big house and just all move in together... JK (Don't worry Andrew and Becca... we aren't house shopping yet!) I did however relate to the longing that David is writing about here, except he isn't talking about a grandchild, as powerful and amazing as that love is, he has that yearning for being in the house of God.

What would change about your life if you could see the face of the Lord daily? Or do you?

How do you see His face?

The next section I want you to read it in the context of my week of struggling with a passage of scripture.

Verses 7-9

Have you ever cried out to God like this?  Asking him to not hide his face from you?

I sure did this week! I cried for Him to make it clear, to show me what I needed to understand, to guide me.  I only want to know HIS truth.  I will take it no matter what it is, but make it clear and give me the peace to know it is right!!

Then the last verse....

"Wait for the Lord."

Wait for the Lord, be strong?

How does being strong have anything to do with it...

Well sometimes the most difficult thing we ever will do is to wait!

When was the last time you had to wait and wait and wait?

Would you say the waiting is easy?

When you need a job and you haven't found one, or when you need to find out the results of a medical test etc.  Waiting is HARD!!!

But wait, sometimes we must.

Is there something that God is asking you to wait on?  Is there something he hasn't revealed to you yet?

Have you been asking, praying, seeking Him and still nothing?

Be okay in the waiting!  We can be confident in the waiting, knowing that we will see the goodness of the Lord!

No matter what it is that you are struggling with.... cry out to Him, but be confident and willing to wait!  YOU WILL SEE THE GOODNESS OF THE LORD!!!!!!











Comments