Psalm 69 - Save me

Psalm 6 - Save me


Question of the day: If you could do 3 things today (anything) what would it be and why?


Good morning class.  I am not able to be there this week but I am looking forward to being with you next Sabbath and starting a new book.  We will be studying the book of Nehemiah.  If you want to start reading it this week that would be great.  

This lesson is for me!  I have really been struggling lately.  I'm not exactly sure why, but I have.  This week this Psalm meant a lot to me, I hope it will bless you today.  

This is a relatively long Psalm so we will take it in sections. 


Psalm 69

For the director of music. To the tune of “Lilies.” Of David.

Save me, O God,
    for the waters have come up to my neck.
I sink in the miry depths,
    where there is no foothold.
I have come into the deep waters;
    the floods engulf me.
I am worn out calling for help;
    my throat is parched.
My eyes fail,
    looking for my God.
Those who hate me without reason
    out number the hairs of my head;
many are my enemies without cause,
    those who seek to destroy me.
I am forced to restore
    what I did not steal.



Have you ever felt you were sinking?

Maybe sinking in work?

Or debt?

Or loneliness?

Or maybe it is guilt?

What do you do when you feel like you are sinking?

Seriously though...

What is your reaction to "drowning"?

Mine is to eat, or to hide away, or to become consumed in the stress and become anxious.

David here says that his eyes fail him.  He can't see God. 

Honestly there are times when I do try to find God, try to have connection and I feel like David, that my eyes fail me.  I don't see God.  

Is it that He isn't there? 

Why do we see Him and experience Him sometimes and other times we seek and don't seem to find? 

After all there is a promise, "seek and ye shall find..."  

So what do we do with these moments?

Claim promises.  Claim it.  Let's keep reading.  I thin we will see David doing just that.

 
You, God, know my folly;
    my guilt is not hidden from you.
Lord, the Lord Almighty,
    may those who hope in you
    not be disgraced because of me;
God of Israel,
    may those who seek you
    not be put to shame because of me.
For I endure scorn for your sake,
    and shame covers my face.
I am a foreigner to my own family,
    a stranger to my own mother’s children;
for zeal for your house consumes me,
    and the insults of those who insult you fall on me.
10 When I weep and fast,
    I must endure scorn;
11 when I put on sackcloth,
    people make sport of me.
12 Those who sit at the gate mock me,
    and I am the song of the drunkards.

In this section David is concerned about whom?
Do you ever worry about how your situation, struggles, depression, or sin is going to impact those around you? 

I know that the depression I experienced when my children were young had an impact on their lives.  

Just this week I was praying this.  Praying that my friendships will survive, that I will figure out a way to get past this so that I can be the grandmother I want to be, praying that my work won't suffer.  

Let's continue: 

But I pray to you, Lord,
    in the time of your favor;
in your great love, O God,
    answer me with your sure salvation.
14 Rescue me from the mire,
    do not let me sink;
deliver me from those who hate me,
    from the deep waters.
15 Do not let the floodwaters engulf me
    or the depths swallow me up
    or the pit close its mouth over me.


Answer me, Lord, out of the goodness of your love;
    in your great mercy turn to me.
17 Do not hide your face from your servant;
    answer me quickly, for I am in trouble.
18 Come near and rescue me;
    deliver me because of my foes.

What do you find beautiful in this section.  

I love that he calls on God to remember His love for David.  

It made me giggle, thinking of how kids do the same thing with parents.  

Do you have that kind of relationship with God that you can call out to him to remember His great love for you? 

What can we do to have that kind of relationship with God?

Is there anything else that jumped out at you?

Let's keep reading...

You know how I am scorned, disgraced and shamed;
    all my enemies are before you.
20 Scorn has broken my heart
    and has left me helpless;
I looked for sympathy, but there was none,
    for comforters, but I found none.
21 They put gall in my food
    and gave me vinegar for my thirst.


May the table set before them become a snare;
    may it become retribution and[b] a trap.
23 May their eyes be darkened so they cannot see,
    and their backs be bent forever.
24 Pour out your wrath on them;
    let your fierce anger overtake them.
25 May their place be deserted;
    let there be no one to dwell in their tents.
26 For they persecute those you wound
    and talk about the pain of those you hurt.
27 Charge them with crime upon crime;
    do not let them share in your salvation.
28 May they be blotted out of the book of life
    and not be listed with the righteous.

Does this section sound mean?
Is this a "turn the other cheek" attitude?

What biblical principal to you read in this section?  

READ Romans 12:9-21

Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. 10 Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves. 11 Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. 12 Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. 13 Share with the Lord’s people who are in need. Practice hospitality.  14 Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. 15 Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn. 16 Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position.[c] Do not be conceited.  17 Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everyone. 18 If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. 19 Do not take revenge, my dear friends, but leave room for God’s wrath, for it is written: “It is mine to avenge; I will repay,”[d] says the Lord. 20 On the contrary:“If your enemy is hungry, feed him;    if he is thirsty, give him something to drink.In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head.”[e]21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

David is doing exactly what he should be doing. Leaving it up to God.  Letting Him be the one to deal harshly with Davids enemies.  He is surrendering it to God.  

Are we willing to surrender our "enemies" to God.  What is your enemy? 
What are you drowning in?  
What were some of your personal answers to the very first questions?  Those are your enemies!
Are you really willing to let God take over or are you trying to micro manage?


Let's finish reading....

But as for me, afflicted and in pain—
    may your salvation, God, protect me.
30 I will praise God’s name in song
    and glorify him with thanksgiving.
31 This will please the Lord more than an ox,
    more than a bull with its horns and hooves.
32 The poor will see and be glad
    you who seek God, may your hearts live!
33 The Lord hears the needy
    and does not despise his captive people.
34 Let heaven and earth praise him,
    the seas and all that move in them,
35 for God will save Zion
    and rebuild the cities of Judah.
Then people will settle there and possess it;
36     the children of his servants will inherit it,
    and those who love his name will dwell there.




David ends in praise! 
No matter how much you are drowning, no matter how much it seems like God isn't there, have faith, claim promises, turn it over to Him and then PRAISE HIM, PRAISE HIM!

Do feel like it...

DO IT ANYWAY!

Turn on music that praises Him!
Read bible verses that praise HIM!
Spend time with friends who will praise HIM!
Praise Him! Feeling it or not!










Last he ends with praise. 

Comments