2 Peter - "I need to say this..."


"I need to say this..."

Question of the day: What was one high and one low of your week?

Today's passage opens with Peter letting us know he realizes he won't be able to keep doing this much longer.  That his days are numbered.  I really thought a good question would be about what you would like to say to the class if you knew you were dying... but the last time I had a question like that you all weren't happy about it.  So moving on...

Read together:  2 Peter 12-21

Prophecy of Scripture

12 So I will always remind you of these things, even though you know them and are firmly established in the truth you now have. 13 I think it is right to refresh your memory as long as I live in the tent of this body, 14 because I know that I will soon put it aside, as our Lord Jesus Christ has made clear to me. 15 And I will make every effort to see that after my departure you will always be able to remember these things.16 For we did not follow cleverly devised stories when we told you about the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ in power, but we were eyewitnesses of his majesty. 17 He received honor and glory from God the Father when the voice came to him from the Majestic Glory, saying, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.”[b] 18 We ourselves heard this voice that came from heaven when we were with him on the sacred mountain.19 We also have the prophetic message as something completely reliable, and you will do well to pay attention to it, as to a light shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts. 20 Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophet’s own interpretation of things. 21 For prophecy never had its origin in the human will, but prophets, though human, spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.


In verse 12 Peter is letting them know he realizes they already know this but it is important for him to say it again.

How important is reviewing what we already know?
What was Peter needing to review with them? 
Why was this so important to him?

Are we an eye witness to who God is?
What is our experience and how important is that in spreading the good news.

Are there truths that need reviewing on a regular basis and those that once you know that is enough?

Prophesy.  How important is it?
Why?

As a church we believe in prophesy still today, right?
How does Ellen White play into all this?

Why does God use prophets?

Are Ellen White's writings important for us today? 
When was the last time you read some of her work?

This next week I want to challenge us all to do two things. 
1. Spend time each day in the presence of God, reading His word and praying.  Spend time, set aside time with Him.  This social distancing, Covid -19 erra is taxing on all of us.  We can spend extra time with God! 
2. Read some of Ellen Whites writings.  If you haven't ever read anything she has written I suggest you start with Steps to Christ.  It is a wonderful little book.  Some of my other favorites, Ministry of Healing and The Desire of Ages. If you don't own them, you can read all of her books online. 




Comments