Mark - Walking away from Jesus

 


Walking away from Jesus

Good morning class.  I am in Chattanooga with my children for the weekend.  I hope you enjoy the lesson.  

Question of the day:  Have you ever been on a memorable hike?  Tell us about it if you have.  


This lesson is seemingly simple but there are some real nuggets.  I hope you enjoy it! 

READ: Mark 14: 43-52

Betrayal and Arrest of Jesus

43 And immediately, while he was still speaking, Judas came, one of the twelve, and with him a crowd with swords and clubs, from the chief priests and the scribes and the elders. 44 Now the betrayer had given them a sign, saying, “The one I will kiss is the man. Seize him and lead him away under guard.” 45 And when he came, he went up to him at once and said, “Rabbi!” And he kissed him. 46 And they laid hands on him and seized him. 47 But one of those who stood by drew his sword and struck the servant[e] of the high priest and cut off his ear. 48 And Jesus said to them, “Have you come out as against a robber, with swords and clubs to capture me? 49 Day after day I was with you in the temple teaching, and you did not seize me. But let the Scriptures be fulfilled.” 50 And they all left him and fled.

A Young Man Flees

51 And a young man followed him, with nothing but a linen cloth about his body. And they seized him, 52 but he left the linen cloth and ran away naked.

Anything stand out to you in this passage?

I want us to take a moment and focus on the last two verses.  I will be honest, I didn't remember this story at all!  I think primarily because we don't know what to do with it.  It is a short seemingly meaningless story that just seems randomly inserted.  However when you know Mark, and what an incredible and intentional writer he is. Mark wouldn't just plop in a random story for no reason.  So why is it here?  

I did a lot of reading and found several "weak" explanations.  Then I found an article by Abraham Kuruvilla from the Dallas Theological Seminary.  His article about these two verses was so inspirational I am linking it here for you to read.  I know he is not SDA but there is nothing in his conclusion that is contrary to our beliefs, and it makes so much sense.  I want you to read it and then I have some questions.  

https://voice.dts.edu/article/who-was-that-young-man-kuruvilla-abraham/

If you look at what Dr. Kuruvilla writes and then combine that with verses 43-50 we see ultimately a redemptive story.  I know I can relate to the idea that at times, even after professing that I never will, I run! Some of us run in obvious ways, or publicly we run away from God and others of us run privately where no one knows.  

1. What are some times in your life when you ran! 

2. What made you run or what was the situation that started you thinking about running away from God. 

3.  Through out this book of Mark we see that Mark is primarily telling us who Jesus is! Everything he writes is for the sole purpose of us KNOWING Jesus to be the son of God, our Savior and our friend.  Do you see yourself in this story?  Do you see Jesus loving you in this story?

4. It is my hope today that you KNOW there is HOPE for you!  There is hope for us!  Walking away, even running away from Jesus dripping in shame is not running too far!  There is always hope in JESUS.  



Comments